My 7 month old has had a runny nose for a couple of days, now he is having nose bleeds. Is this normal?

I am taking him to the doctor later this evening. But it is scaring me. Anyone else experienced this?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, happens all the time for us. We have dry air here in Minnesota so we all get nose bleeds in the winter. I'm not a doctor so I have no clue if thats the case for you. A humidifier works great for us though.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• At 7 months old I think you should call your doctor. It could be a sinus infection or other complications. If it is just dry air, then no harm done. That is pretty young to be having actual nose bleeds. If you aren't comfortable calling the doctor then call your insurance nurse help line or public health.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Call your dr right away. I have a 3 year old that has never had a nose bleed. 7 months old is awfully young and what would be a little nose bleed for a grown up could be a lot of blood loss for a baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• He has an appointment at 4, I live in Kentucky, so I really don't think it is dry air.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Interesting...my daughter is 18 mo., on day 5 of a cold and this morning she's had blood tinged runny nose...just one nostril though and not an actual "bloody nose." Its dry here in Arizona though so I'm blaming it on that. My nasal passages are dry too. Hope yours feels better soon!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• if you just started running your heat that might be it. i know that when you have the heat on you are supposed to run a humidifier to counteract the dry air that the heater creates...
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My DD had a bloody nose when she had the flu but it was only b/c we kept using the aspirator on her and we live in the desert. It freaked me the hell out, though.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009