Is calling a white person a "redneck" the same as calling an African American a "n_gger"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't take being called a redneck as an insult. You could stand in the street and scream it at me at the top of your lungs and I'd just be like "okay". Call me white trash, and I'm like "okay". Call me a bitch and I'm like "yep". Name calling says way more about the person doing it than it does about the person being called an ugly name.

Usually someone calling a person names like that probably doesn't know the person well enough, so all their name calling is just empty. More times that not, I remember what my uncle said - every time I point a finger at you, I've got 3 pointing back at me. I really don't give rise to name calling - other than it being a clear sign of the caliber of the person who's doing the name calling.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What does this have to do with relationships?
    Anonymous

• in my opinion, no. infact, i know alot of rednecks that love being called rednecks. it's usually not an insult to be called a redneck, depending on the person... whereas the n word is insulting no matter who you call it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You sure sound like your a TROLL. What in the hell does this have to do with relationships? If you trying to start trouble then please go else where.
    Anonymous

• Using the "n" word is a derogatory word that has a negative connotation to which many African Americans refer to as disrespectful. Most "rednecks" are proud of the word Redneck, so no it's not the same.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Oct. 15, 2009 by: * tnm786
    in my opinion, no. infact, i know alot of rednecks that love being called rednecks. it's usually not an insult to be called a redneck, depending on the person... whereas the n word is insulting no matter who you call it.
    _____________________________
    I have to disagree with you. I would be HIGHLY insulted if someone called me a redneck.

I don't think the two are the same thing at all either.
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with you. I would be HIGHLY insulted if someone called me a redneck.

Note: *DEPENDING ON THE PERSON*
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think you're ignorant! That's all I have to say....
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would guess so. It is rude.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• IMO I believe that term refers to trash of any color. The term nigger means dirty. Now that is not the way it is used but when I hear it I like to think of that person no matter of color is dirty and trashy. And yes when most country white people are called rednecks they take it as a compliment. I think its far you want to go with the term.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009