do you drink soda or avoid it? diet or regular?

hey ladies i didn't used to drink sodas. well i would drink about 1 a week. then when i was pregnant with my son who is 2, i started craving soda. bad. i still kept it down to a few per week. but in the past few months i have been drinking 7-10 per week. diet coke or diet RC. but now i just found out i am (3.5 weeks) pregnant. so i want to cut them out altogether.

what are your opinions on the safety of sodas with splenda and with caffeine. i know sodas are so bad for me in general... :(

i usually drink 2-3 glasses of water per day, 1 glass of milk, and 1 can of soda. now i want to up my water and milk a bit, no more soda, and have a juice instead.

just wanting opinions please. :) can a soda a day hurt my baby? or is it more just generally more healthy for me and baby to avoid soda?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant, the doctor specifically said to stay away from ANY artificial sweeteners- even gum with art. sweeteners. If you are going to do soda, do caffeine free- they taste exactly the same. I don't think you have to cut them out altogether- just try limiting it to 2 -3 a week.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I drink soda maybe twice a year. But now that I am pregnant I have had it a few extra times. One day I just flat out craved it, another time it was the ONLY thing that would settle my stomach.

I drink regular. I don't touch the diet drinks. I don't do aspartame, ever.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I drink soda maybe twice a year. But now that I am pregnant I have had it a few extra times. One day I just flat out craved it

i'm OP and that was me when i was pregnant with my first!

thanks for your comments so far :)

the diet cokes have splenda instead of aspartame now but still i think that is bad.
    Anonymous

• The jury still seems to be out on whether artificial sweeteners are bad for baby. I would kick it just to be on the safe side, personally; but I've never been a diet soda drinker, I prefer the sugar-full version, lol.

As far as the caffeine, one a day is probably fine. The general findings seem to agree that one cup of coffee (which is the equivalent of about three servings of Coke -- so one bottle or small/medium cup at a restaurant) is ok; it's excessive caffeine intake that's harmful.

When I was pregnant with my second, the only thing I could keep down at first was Coke, especially fountain Coke, and boy did it taste good when it was all I was eating/drinking, lol. I had one a day for the first half of my pregnancy, and one a week or so during the second half, and my baby was fine; she was a little more active when I had the soda, but she came out perfectly healthy. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• During the first trimester I could only drink flat warm sprite, coudn't even hold down water. It was horrible. Now at 30 weeks I can pretty much drink whatever (expect OJ) but coke does help settle my stomach. I get regular, I hate the taste of diet. and if you've ever read anything aspartimime (spelling???) you'll know that stuff is POISION. I refuse to touch it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i'm op

ok i just read that diet coke DOES have aspartame! what was i thinking? maybe my diet RCs had splenda. oh no, i think it's just diet rite, which doesn't have caffeine. ok no more aspartame for me!

thanks so much ladies. i can't believe i was drinking aspartame without even knowing it. well hopefully i can just quit all toghether, or else get coke, not diet. too bad i have 10 diet cokes left, i'll have to give them away.
    Anonymous

• I'm pregnant with my 2nd. Before my 1st and this one I was a complete Dr. Pepper fiend. Like 4 cans a day. Because I've developed that habbit I get caffeine headaches when I DON'T drink caffeine. Because of these awful headaches, during both pregnancies my doctor said it is perfectly fine to have one can a day of normal, caffeinated soda.
    Also, my 2 yr old dd is a calm, independant toddler and has been that way since birth. So, for me, I think having a can a day has no effect of the unborn child. :)

DRINK AWAY! haha
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 2:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• op here, my DH also gets headaches if he *doesn't* drink soda. he tries to wean himself off all the time and fails. ;)
    Anonymous

• Well, dont think that juice is any better than soda when it comes to sugar! if you look at the calorie intake and sugar on juice it normally has as much if not more than soda, it just doesnt have the caffine. However, with my first and with this pregnancy i CRAVE pepsi slushies! i cant get enough! LOL so i drink it. My OB told me as long as i am not drinking them all day every day that i am fine, but if i want one a day i am fine too. But i was told the whole time with my first to drink drink drink MORE of anything, because i am not a big drinker. I could go all day on the same glass of water, tea, soda anything really and i need the liquids they tell me. so my opinion as i wouldnt drink only soda, i dont think one a day will hurt, but i would switch to reg because artficial sweetners arent good for you so they arent good for you baby either. congrats!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I drink soda every once in a while because it's all that will settle my stomach... A can a day of REGULAR (not diet! don't touch that crap with a 10ft. Pole!) soda is fine. If you're worried about caffeine do caffeine free regular Coke.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009