Why is everyone on the McChrystal band wagon now?

The man chosen by Barack Obama to lead the war in Afghanistan also helped cover up the friendly-fire death of NFL player turned soldier Pat Tillman, writes Jon Krakauer. He administered a fraudulent medal recommendation to keep the public in the dark. So why isn’t anybody talking about it?

Shortly after President Obama nominated Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal to command U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, the general was summoned to the U.S. Senate to be grilled by the Armed Services Committee. Although McChrystal had enthusiastic admirers on both sides of the congressional aisle and was regarded as an innovative, uncommonly effective leader, he was expected to face difficult questions about two incidents that occurred during his tenure as leader of the Joint Special Operations Command (or JSOC): the torture of detainees in 2003 at the secret facility in Iraq known as Camp Nama, and his role in the coverup of Pat Tillman’s

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• and his role in the coverup of Pat Tillman’s fratricide in Afghanistan in 2004. During the committee hearing, though, none of McChrystal’s inquisitors probed deeply into either of these issues, and on June 10 the Senate unanimously confirmed his nomination.

McChrystal has lately been the subject of numerous media profiles, most of them adulatory. Dexter Filkins has a long story in the upcoming New York Times Magazine. In an October 5 Newsweek article, Evan Thomas referred to the general as a “Zen warrior… with a disarming, low-key style, free of the bombast and sense of entitlement that can come with four stars…. He has great political skills; he couldn’t have risen to his current position without them.
    Anonymous

• But he definitely does not see himself as the sort of military man who would compromise his principles to do the politically convenient thing.” In the week after Tillman was killed, however, this is precisely what McChrystal appears to have done when he administered a fraudulent medal recommendation and submitted it to secretary of the Army, thereby concealing the cause of Tillman’s death.

How quickly everyone forgets
    Anonymous

• I personally hate it when people FINALLY tell the truth! Damn him.

As for the supposed torture of suspected terrorists to save American lives, not everyone considers it to be the issue that some folks do.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Whatever he was involved in before has no bearing on the safety of our men and women serving abroad. If he is supposed to be the expert in the field, I think he needs to be listened to.

That doesn't mean that I am on the McChrystal band wagon. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It has no bearing that he is a liar and tried to cover up something by issuing a fake medal that wasn't warranted?
    Anonymous

• this is precisely what McChrystal appears to have done.........

I personally prefer cold facts over appearances.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think this has little to do with what's going on now, although it does make me question why he was chosen....

What's going on in Afghanastan right now needs to be deided before just adding more troops.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I find it funny that Obama hand picked him to head up operations in Afghanistan and now won't listen to him. I think he thought this guy would be a push over and now that Mcchrystal acutally wanting to fight AND WIN the war, Obama...who BTW has less military experience than my 3 year old....doesn't know what to make of it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Some people agree, some don't, some like him, some don't, some think Obama should listen to his advice, some don't.........
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• He is just another shady individual that Obama hired. I knew about the past incidents with the General... but I back him not because I am okay with what he has done. But because we really need to focus on whats GOING to be done right now.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009