Does anyone have any neat tricks to get kids to eat veggies?

I have to force T.J. to eat veggies. At the chinese restaurent, he had fried okra. I made it and he hated it. I turned the T.V. off and made him eat 3 pieces. Same with broccoli. At the restaurent he tried broccoli tips, but they were too hard. I boiled some at home. They were too soft. I stood in front of the T.V. again.

Help!

Kim063

Asked by Kim063 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Health

• Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• actually when u boil veggies to certain extnt they lose their nutritonal value. GET THIS! make meat loaf! yes meat loaf! try this receipe ok. he will love it. cut up almost EVERY vegetable as in ( carrots, broccoli, celery, bell peppers, peas,) anything u can think of and a good amount put it in your meat blend it up will in it. if its in small pieces he will not tell, use 2 eggs to keep the meatload together use about a tablespoon of brown sugar and a cup of ketchup not too much yet. and use your salt and pepper and other seasonings. THEN let it cook througly until brown, and make a mixture of ketchup brown sugar salt and pepper and mustard. in a bown and it should become a think mixture and glaze it over the top it gives it a sweet glaze he will love it! let it cook another 30 minutes uncovered.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i had to learn to cook them better, real butter and salt --- carrots need brown sugar and butter... there is also a cool book by jerry signfeld's wife about pureeing the vegis and fruit and mixing that into the foods they already eat.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Salad dressing works for my daughter. But she likes veggies :)
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The book she is referring to is called Deceptively Delicious and it is great! Puree and store lots of different veggies in your freezer (freeze in ice cube trays and defrost one cube at a time as needed). You can put pureed spinach down underneath the tomato sauce of a home made pizza...they'll never know its there. You can add pureed butternut squash to Macaroni and Cheese...again, they'll never know it is there. You can put a layer of any veggie in a tortilla then fill with the usual goodies. Add a layer of carrot to a grilled cheese sandwich...it looks like cheese and the cheese flavor overrides it, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You can shred zucchini, carrots, squash and put in spaghetti sauce. You can serve zucchini bread, pumpkin bread. You can chop spinach really fine and put in brownies. Jessica Seinfield has a book that has recipes to hide veggies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Two must have cook books...

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld

The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals by Missy Chase Lapine

Great ideas and recipies!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• o.O Why are you letting the TV stay on at dinner time?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I give my 2 year old a ffew choices and that is what I make to go with dinner
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We have this struggle as well. We have found that our son likes raw veggies like baby carrots and cucumbers. We also grind up veggies and put them in spaghetti and pizza sauce.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009