What IS a stay at home mom?

What that does phrase mean! ? What are your duties?! Do you have a place? What should you NOT do? How much time are you allowed to stay out of the home away from the kids? What should your husband do since you stay home? Any aspect I need to know!

rlemde

Asked by rlemde at 1:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, as a stay-at-home mom myself, I do the chores and make sure that home is nice and neat. I do all the cooking and grocery shopping. I take care of my three-month old son which fills up half my day. In the evening, I usually sit down with a nice movie or TV show. Being a SAHM is the best thing ever. I can do all the cleaning and cooking and play with my son and still have a little me time at the end of the day! You're gonna love it!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 1:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• A SAHM is a mom that does not work outside the home. Other than that, its not that black and white, what your duties are, how often you spend time away from the kids and what your husband does, is up to each individual famly to decide.

Personally, I feel the the husband works his shift away, the SAHM works her shift while he's gone, and while they are home together it should be equal duties, at least regarding the kids. None of this he gets home from work and does nothing crap.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• SAHM means you do not work out side the house. You do not go to work. Your job is to take care of the kids and house work. Having time away from the kids, depends on how old they are. If they are all in school. You get all day, that doen't mean you do not have house wook to do while they are in school. If they do not go to school you do not get much alone time. Most DH's do the yard work.

Answer by louise2 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• As a stay at home mom, I take care of the kids and the home. I do the dishes, laundry (dh does put his own clothes away, most of the time), clean the bathrooms, basically whatever cleaning needs to be done and take care of our three kids. I don't go out much, DH watches the kids one night a month while I go out with the girls. My inlaws take the kids about once every other week just to see them so that gives me a break. If I didn't have that I would most likely go out more. There are some weeks that are just crazy so DH will help me really clean on the weekends (he just refuses to do dishes or bathrooms) Since I mainly do everything in the house, I do nothing outside. DH takes care of the yard, trash, shoveling snow, everything outside. Since DH has to get up for work, I am the one who is up with the kids at night if they wake up. I also run whatever errands, make phone calls and pay the bills.
    Anonymous

• What a strange question.
    I am a Stay at home Mom. This means that I am not employed outside of the home. I stay home and take care of the children, cook, clean, do the laundry, grocery shop, run errands, do the banking (bill paying) etc.
    Do I have a place? Huh? What does that mean?
    What should you NOT do? Again, what does that mean?
    How much time are you allowed to stay out of the home away from the kids? Hellooooo. Allowed? I don't need permission to do things. I don't understand what you really mean here.
    What should your husband do since you stay home? Well, hold a job for one, otherwise we couldn't afford for me to stay home.
    Anonymous

• Gramsmom, best answer! YES!!! LOL.

Anon 10:21, it's just really grating my nerves that so many sahm's judge each other b/c of what we think our duties are--and it's all different! Do you have a place- Some women seem to think that women have a place and it's in the household and the husband is outside the home. What should you not do--as in the ways of chores/duties, work, etc. Time allowed away from the kids- Women seem to think we stay at home and therefore we don't need time away from the home. I want ME TIME! Away from the house and chores, from my everyday duties. What should your husband do since you stay home- since he works 8 hours or whatever, and you'rehome what should his duties be at home, if any?
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 1:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I can understand her question, I was a 2 job working mom until I became ill,then I became a SAHM,but nothing changed,because when I worked,I cleaned everyday, I cooked everyday,I never missed school meetings, school activities,before joining Cafemom,I have never heard of SAHM, yes,my mother stayed home with us,but,when we went to school,my mother went to work. I guess it depends on what you want for your family,and where you want to be financially,like for me,I worked very hard to put up for a rainy day,so we could travel,so my kids could go to college,and I'm so glad I did,who knew at age 30, I would become ill and totally disabled,but with money saved, money being taken out for unseen emergencies,it paid off.When, I see such young women 18-25 saying they have no plans of ever going to school or work,what happens,if DH leaves you or you get sick.With my DH and I,me working was the best decision I could make for our family.

Anonymous

• I stay at home, and I try to do everything house work related while he's gone. Sure, he doesn't do it, but we get to relax and spend family time when he is home. He is always happy to split whatever is going on when he's home. If I didn't get the laundry done, we both have to get it done. So, we both prefer it done before he gets here!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I do it all honey. I even cut my kids hair. I remodel my house, do ALL house repairs, take out trash, pay bills, homework guru, eat at the table with my family.
    I dont make money but oh do I SAVE us money! I BF all 3 of my kids.
    My husband works and he is a WONDERFUL provider but I need more than just a paycheck from him.
    I am currently taking one night out of the week for myself. He sleeps in and I prefer mornings.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• A stay at home mom takes care of the home and the children rather than paying for stranger to care for them all day.
    Anonymous