Was it the morphine?

So I had my daughter by emerg. c-section last December, and I honestly can't tell you a damn thing that happened from the time I was in recovery until later that night. It's like her whole first day of life was erased from my memory! And I know for a fact she wasn't taken away from me so I don't even know how I managed to care for her since I can't remember anything. I remember things from that night and then on, even though I was still on the morphine drip. Now I can tell you everything down to a T from my 1st birthing experience with my vaginally born daughter 3 years ago. If you were on morphine for anything, did it erase any part of your memory? I just want to try to opt out of it this time if that's the case.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Morphine affects different people different ways. I was given a morphine pump before I had my c-section because the attending physician didn't believe me when I said I was in labor so they treated me for a kidney stone. Of course I didn't have one, but I HARDLY remember the day my son was born. I remember my c-section but before and after is a blur. Morphine also stopped by bowels from working. Between the moving of the guts with my c-section and the natural slowing ability that morphine has on the bowels it was a double whammy. Most people get the constipation but not full blown stopping of the bowels. It is very possible that the morphine caused your amnesia.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• when i had my first c section which was emergency i dont remember much of that day at all not even while in labor befor the c section.i think its abit of the drugs and the emoitional part of having a c section its alittle tramatic.
    this time around i had a shedualed c section and i remmeber everything and i was on iv drugs after the delievery. So I think its just the tramtic expierence when its a emergency that causes you to not remember.
    Anonymous

• I pulled the I.V. out with my 2nd DD b/c the nurse kept telling me I needed more, but my pain level was low. There are a few pieces I don't quiet remember but only about 20 minutes or so---being wheeled to recovery from the OR.
    My 1st DD I had the morophine drip for hours after the c-section and remember everything...maybe it was the dosage being used the 2nd time around for me?

I would talk to my dr and see if there is another option for pain management if it is needed.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Oh, my 1st was an emergency c-section, my 2nd was not.

I don't know that trama can erase memory---for me atleast.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had my son 4 months ago and i dont remember the day of my c-section. Mine was also an emergency. But they had to take my son into the NICU because i had him 6 weeks before my due date. I think its the other pain meds that they gave me when i was in the OR and when i was in recovery. I didnt have the morphine drip when i was in recovery. I didnt get that till i was in my room.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• No I had mophine with both c-sections and can remember every detail, but everyone reacts different from drugs.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I know general anesthetics can have "amnesic qualities" - I know I forgot tons of random stuff after my knee surgery

....maybe you're just super-sensitive to even not full general anesthetics - that can happen.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had to get a shot of morphine when I was in unproductive labour with #3. dh took me home and put me to bed I don't remember ANYTHING until the next day. he says I had a couple hour conversation with his mom (who we had over to watch the other 2 kids while I went to hospital), made breakfast and then started the laundry.

I lost a day. hope I never have to take morphine again.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009