Too much stranger danger?

If you became gravely ill/passed out at a public place with your child, would they know to tell an adult or have they been taught to never speak to a stranger?

If your child was lost at the mall or grocery store, would they know to find an employee and tell them or have they been convinced they must find a police officer?

If they become lost in a residential neighborhood, what have you told them to do to get help?

If your child was lost in the woods, would they hide from the rescuers like that little boy scout in Utah did a few years ago because he was afraid they might kidnap him, or would they yell for help when they heard searchers looking for them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have taught our children the difference between safe strangers (safer maybe the right word) and absolutely not to talk to strangers. For instance you gave the instance of being lost at the mall or grocery store, my children know that they can ask a cashier/employee/ or another woman with children for help. In a residential neighborhood I have told them to find the house with the most kids playing outside and as far as beiing lost in the woods my children have safety whistles that they carry with them when we go cam;ping of if my dd is with her girl scouts and they know to blow the hell out of them until a grown up comes, they know to look for uniforms (be it police/cashier/ ambulance/ etc) they know that most likely another mother with children would also be able to help them, and they know how to dial 911 from any public phone. They know that employees at stores and rest areas are generally safe strangers.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You asked some good questions,and all I can say you just to keep talking to your kids and pray for a shield of protection. On thing I have seen and heard,I have seen moms tell their kids,"if, you keep being bad,the police going to get you", or they will say,the doctor going to give you a big needle,now,if you tell a child these things,why would a child go to a police-person or anybody in uniform,when the parent told him to be afraid of him.You just have to trust your kids will do the right thing.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I just love this reverse criticism. Now parents are criticized for caring for their chidren too much? Pathetic, just plain pathetic. And the fact that you suggest that they only do it because of what other parents might think is just garbage and not true. It's also now about being "holier than thou", it is just as plain and simple as protecting and caring for our children. Animals in the wild protect their offspring from other predators, some for many years. Why are we bad or "helicopter" parents for doing the same thing? If you want to trust the world, then let your child out alone and unprotected, but I for one, will protect my child for as long as I can. Thank you very much.
    Anonymous

• I so agree with you lady-t3984. My grandma will tell my 2 year old, the police will come get you if you're bad. I always say, no the police are here to help us. It drives me up the wall. I was terrified of police for so long.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I just love this reverse criticism

Oh goodie, a stalker. Now how about you actually answer my question instead of going anon and copying over out of context phrases from a completely different question? What WOULD your child do?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• we've taught (and they learn in school) about safe strangers and unsafe strangers.

they have whistles for when we're hiking and camping whether with family or their brownie troup.

they know 911
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What WOULD your child do?

My child is an infant, so she will never be left alone. There I answered your stupid question.

And this makes absolutely no sense: copying over out of context phrases from a completely different question?

And I'm not stalking you, believe me. I have better things to do like WATCH OVER MY CHILD.
    Anonymous

• My child is an infant, so she will never be left alone.

I don't know if you maybe never took a biology class in school, but she will eventually no longer be an infant and you will have to teach her how to function outside a crib.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009