Change for a Garage Sale

How much change should I make available for shoppers at a garage sale? I say $100 in change is too much. My DH thinks it might be too little! What do ya'll think?

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 1:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I personally go with about $75, mostly ones and a few fives. I also get about $10 in quarters. I do not price anything less than a quarter, it makes it MUCH easier.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• if you can get 100 in change---go for it---not like you're gonna loose it if you don't use it---get ones, fives and quarters---better safe then sorry ya know?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It depends on how much you have to sell. I usually do about $100 if its just our family...but if its multi family, then $100 per family.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It is a multi family sale. My folks and my husband's mother are piggy backing on our garage sale since we're in a good, visual spot. :-p

My husband's rationale is that it's pay day weekend for a lot of people, so we may see a few $50 and $100 bills for change. My concern is when you have too much change, some of those bills may unintentionally end up walking away.

I'm not sure what the etiquette rule on making change, but I know personally I always come to garage sales with big and small bills anticipating people will not have the change for a $100. I use the same rule with our sitter - I pay cash and with exact change.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 2:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You will most likely have people with $20's. I would say that most people don't go to yard sales planning on paying with $50's and $100's.
    I would go with $100 in change though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009