SAHMs with sick babies

When you have a LO that is sick, especially an infant or toddler, do you let some of the household things fall through the cracks? I am spending most of my day on the couch holding her or changing awful diapers (she has a stomach bug). She isn't sleeping well, so neither have I. I am taking my opportunity to sleep when she does. As a result, I am leaving much of the housework until when my husband gets home. He is starting to complain about it, but I would rather clean when he got home so that he could spend some time with our daughter and she still felt comforted than to leave her crying somewhere for Mommy. So what do you do when your little kids are sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell your husband to stick it. Your baby is and should be your first priority, your DH should understand that. If he doesn't, he is a jerk.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The nerve, complain cause you are caring for your sick child instead of cleaning? Why doesn't HE clean when HE gets home? You are working ALL DAY Too... arg.. some men!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You are doing the right thing! The house will be there when she is better, the goal is to comfort her, her needs should come before everything and anyone else! Being sick is miserable but even worse for little ones who aren't able to do for themselves.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am not technically a stay at home, but I work nights so that they kids don't go to daycare. For all intents and purposes, I am a daytime stay at home mom. I do most of the housework, I do my son's school routine, I do the homework, I make the lunches. All of that. When my youngest is sick (20 months), I make sure that my son gets to school, and I make sure that my son's homework gets done after school. But other than that, its about my daughter. I do the same with my son (aged 8) when he is home sick, but he doesn't need mommy as much as my daughter does. So more does get done when my son is home, but still not everything. Even as a stay at home mom, you are still MOM. And I think that title comes before any other and those expectations as mom should be met before any others should be.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes I save it for later if possible because I have other kids to care for.
    Nathskitten - Could not have put it better myself.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The housework will still be there in a week. If he really complains, I would say you need to go to the store and leave the LO with him for at least 2 diapers worth, and the whining, and the complaining. Then maybe he will get it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• And just a reminder, sleep deprived mommies aren't performing at their best. You are more likely to get agitated, and that means your child will get agitated. You are more likely to scream instead of being able tp comfort and you are more likely to need a break. Most mothers that have children with sleep problems will nap when their children do. I work nights so I don't get much sleep at night. I get home at 1 am, can't go to sleep until around 3, then I get up at 6:30 to make sure my son can get to school because my husband works early in the morning. I nap with my daughter every day because I can't run on 3 1/2 hours of sleep on a regular basis.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes. My child comes first in all things. So I may make sure dishes and trash are tended to but that would be about it.

As for my husbands reaction to times like this..."our children come first, housework can wait"

So, he is supportive and non-anal about the house.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Sorry, I agree with your DH, you should be able to clean sometimes,when she go to sleep, and the most important thing to remember,because she has a virus,it's so important you wipe off everything with Clorox or a disinfect,when,you are sitting in 1 spot with dirty diapers,dirty tissues,etc. and sometimes when a child or you have a temp,they have a sick smell. Yes, my kids come first,that's why it's so important for them to be in a clean environment. If,the baby is on your lap,who is making the mess so bad,for your DH  to notice it and complain.Try cleaning at night,but please use the disinfect.

Anonymous

• Anon :38 - get over it, the child is sick and the dishes can wait. OP - Tell your husband to take off from work to care for the sick baby and see how he likes it! GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009