Would it annoy anyone else?

Every year my MIL gives my children Christmas themed clothing as Christmas gifts. So after opening them they get packed away and by the next year they have out grown them. I have asked her to give clothing that they can enjoy all year long or buy them too big so that they can still wear them the next year but she does not listen. I love my MIL and I know she means well. I would never want to hurt her feelings but I am tired of having to give away too small Christmas sweaters that have never been worn. I even asked if maybe she can let them open those cloths on Christmas eve so they can be worn on Christmas day but she is a firm believer in not opening any gifts until Christmas day. Would it annoy anyone else or am I wrong for feeling this way? How can I make her see that she is wasting her money every year without upsetting her? I have tried talking to her several times and it is like she is not listening.

JEAmom3

Asked by JEAmom3 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• Ask her for PJs...they can be worn all year round even if they are christmas themed----My dds get a pair every year and when they put them on throughout the year they always come up with a memory to share from the christmas they got them..
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Easy, tell her a bigger size, that way next year they can wear it for xmas. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Ask her for the reciept and take them back or exchange them for a bigger sisze. She is not going to listen to your request, period, so just get the reciept and tell her if you can honor my request for clothing that gets more than one use out of it then i want you to know i will be returning and exchanging what ever you give them. Maybe she will get the hint oh yeah you could open the present without her knowledge and see what it is and exchange it for a bigger size and repack it that way no one needs to know what you did (if you want to be sneaky about it)
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Tell her you're opening a savings account for your kids and that instead of clothing she can contribute to their savings. That's what our family does for our kids...GL
    If not then you can donate the clothing to a local church or elementary school...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Looks like OP has tried telling her MIL to buy them bigger but she doesn't listen! Maybe sit her down to talk in non confrontational way and ask again, or tell the kids have made out wish lists and maybe she would like to pick something off there to get them?
    Anonymous

• I'd ask you husband to talk to her. I can't imagine why she would want to waste money that way, it makes no sense. If I was buying holiday themed clothing I'd give them to the kids at Thanksgiving so they could wear them a few times. What does hubby think of this?? It's his mom, he should probably bring it up.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You might suggest to go shopping alone when she is getting ready to select a Christmas theme. This way you have an input. ;-) If it doesn't work just say thank very much and leave it at that. It's her money to do as she pleases.
    Anonymous

• When she asks what sizes the kids wear this year just lie and say a size up. Problem solved.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I can see how that would be annoying...At least your not giving away clothes you bought though. I agree that you should try telling her larger sizes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• some people just dont listen, it isnt worth hurt feelings..you tried to talk to her and it didnt work, next time it may hurt her feelings. I wouldnt say anything but thank you. leave the tags on them and throw them by your thanksgiving stuff so they are easy to find the next yeat. Sell them on ebay or consignment shop with tags still on them.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009