crib...idk what to do!

i took the bumper off my dds crib when she started using it bc i was afraid of suffocation. shes now 8 months and rolls alot and i just walked in to check on her and she got her legs all twisted in the bars. what should i do? is a bumper okay at her age now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Once they can roll over by themselves, they're good. I started giving mine a blanket around 9 mo even.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• shes been using a blanket forever. i hate it but weve tried numerous time and she just wont go to sleep without it. i made sure its a small one though. and i check on her constantly. im just afraid shell bury her face in the bumper. but i guess shes old enough to know to move if she cant breathe. its just scary.
    Anonymous

• If you are really worried about suffocation you can buy breathable bumpers. I don't think it's necessary, but it might make you worry less.
    Anonymous

• my three boys had the bumper around the crib from day one and also a blanket really early, and they turned out fine. Don't know if it was just luck, but I never even really realized it... you will probably say I'm an unfit mothers, but I don't think so, so I won't let it bother me...

Good luck!
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You might try getting some sleep sacks, that way she'd be warm, but she won't be able to get her legs stuck. :)
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 2:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I always used a bumper for all my kids. Until they were out of the crib. I don't know if that would stop her from getting her feet stuck though. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• although i did use a bumper i have heard the sids argument is that any injury from a limb twisting in the slats is less likely and obviously less severe than a child dying from sids. but again, i used a bumper anyways (i did follow EVERY other recommendation - fan, no bedding/pillows, temperature in the correct range, no smoking, 'back to sleep', etc). I made sure that the bumper was ALWAYS securing tied to the slats.

BUT i really like EvaSerenity's sleep sack suggestion. My daughter was always in sleep sacks, they are awesome.
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We're using those mesh breathable bumpers. You might give that a try.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009