What do you do when a 4 month old is fighting his sleep? I ahve tried everything.

atank0429

Asked by atank0429 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say try swaddling again, and putting him/her down NOT asleep. they say if you put a baby to sleep already asleep when they wake they want you again. because they want what they saw last before they fell asleep...make sense? so if you get your baby nice and sleepy lay them down and let them put themselves to sleep if they wake they are more likey to put themselves back to sleep. but if you are doing that, it may just be a stage. my dd went to bed fine every night til like 6 months then she would scream! that lasted about a month :( but i would just let her cry it out. it broke my heart but i knew getting her every night would just make her continue to do it. and if she could go to sleep fine every night til then she would soon be back to normal!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Put him to sleep earlier...more likely than not, you're waiting too long. A well rested baby is much easier to convince to go to sleep than one who is overly tired...this will be true for a couple of years. A solid nighttime routine is helpful too. Try a warm bath before bed...getting out of the bath reduces body temperature and sends a signal to the brain to sleep. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Try swadddling him again. Often times, we stop swaddling them after a few months, but they usually really like it and it helps them to settle down. ~ Some babies prefer to be put down to go to sleep rather than rocking, cuddling them. Have you tried getting him comfy and cozy and then putting him down?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Drive, my DS used to fight sleep all of the time, one spin around the block and he was out! To this day, more than 5 minutes and he is fast asleep. You can also sit him on the washing machine, be sure to stay right there, if it was nasty out, it worked too--good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Both my boys could/can be convinced to go to sleep with a boob. Works every time, as long as they're tired, that is... sometimes even when they're not! lol. Thats what boobs are for, helping fussy babies sleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I nursed my daughter to sleep until she was at least a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Thats what boobs are for, helping fussy babies sleep.

Cute!

When mine does this, and it's rare these days, thank God, I would either walk or drive her. Toward the end of that fussy stage she caught on to the driving lulling her to sleep and fought that but it was a phase and did end. I think that is what yours is doing. My only other suggestion is when you get ready to put him down at night, go into the room where the crib is, turn the light down low or off and and just rock him if you can. My daughter loves that. Good luck. I know how hard it is when they don't want to sleep.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son used to do that, and still does now sometimes. hehe He has always been one to fall asleep on his own, but he has his days when nothing I do will help him take a nap. Tried the swing, crib, rocking, and bouncing him, which used to work, but when he got a lil bigger he would even fight the cuddling. After a while if he wouldnt give in to anything a car ride would usually do the trick. I wish you luck.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009