Does WIC lend out breastpumps?

has anyone ever borrowed a breastpump from WIC? i had never heard of this before...i am not on WIC right now but i think we would qualify for it and i really need a good pump cuz i don't have any milk in the freezer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think you can join wic just so you can use their breastpumps, but yes they do offer them to those who qualify!
    Anonymous

• I believe they actually give u one it just takes a couple of weeks to come in Im on wic but I didnt know they gave one out so I went and bought one. But my sister and some1 else I know got one from wic.
    Anonymous

• If you qualify for WIC they will either lend you an automatic breastpump instead of checks for formula or they will give you a hand pump along with checks for formula.
    Anonymous

• They give you one if you NEED to be separated from your baby for work or full time school.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It depends on your state. My WIC office gave me a hand held pump because I was breastfeeding.
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 2:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my county WIC charges a $20 'rental fee' but you keep the pump, so i am not sure why they call it a rental. they do have you sign something that you woulnt sell it or give it away, that it is only for your use. i think the paper even says that you have to surrender it if asked, but i havent heard of anyone being asked to give one back...
    they had them on hand and i didnt have to wait for an order.
    i wasnt working or going to school, but was having supply issues and needed a pump to help with the problem.
    i think the main thing is that they want mom's to bf if they can since it is best - not to mention that giving us a pump is a lot cheaper than having to pay for formula for our baby for any longer than a month... add up the cost of formula for 12 months and a free pump is a good deal!
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• NOT ALL. AND ALSO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A REASON.PLUS SI ONLY FOR A FEW MTS, IF SOMEONE ELSES NEEDED THEY WILL TELL YOU THEY NEEDED ITBACK.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• They just gave me one - two in fact. All you have to do is ask.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am in Texas and they will give you one here. Of course my local office is kinda being slow about it. The baby is 11 days old and they wanted me to wait because they are afraid they will give me this $250 pump and I will decide I don't want to breastfeed, which isn't the case. Here in Texas though, they will give you a high quality pump that is yours to keep.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 7:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009