How can you get a 11yr old to stop being soo bossey and bad mouthing to there family.

My 11 year old is so mouthing to her brother and sister that they are always fighting all the time. They just won't stop at all. She is also bossey to here mother, brother and sister. How can I get her to stop?

Debbie800

Asked by Debbie800 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The books How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk and Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too are very good.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree with those recommendations. We are often so quick to blame the kids but most of the time what they do is a reflection of something we are or aren't doing. Those books put the focus back on parenting so you can really help them and your whole family.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Let her know that is a real turn off to her siblings and friends.  Help her see herself and what bossiness looks like by letting her read books about being bossy http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=39&page=5

Here is some books on sibling rivalry which may be helpful too http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=5&page=2 

A bossy child can be a strong willed child....which can be an asset if channeled properly.  Bossiness can be transformed into assertiveness and good leadership skills if you can teach her emotional control and how to communicate better.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• when those lil hormones start kickin in its hell for everyone.. when you figure it out plz let me know.

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I was just like that at 13 until my parents...
    didnt let me use the phone any day I had an attitude problem
    didnt let me have friends over or go out with them for a week for every tantrum/ fight
    wouldnt involve me in activities or trips if I was going to be rude to everyone there.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Girls thrive on phone, girlie TV, and friends. So pick one and take it away when she misbehaves. Involve her in more, be extra nice, and say yes more when she is nice to you and point out that "Please" and kind words are a better way to get somewhere.
    Dont let rude behavior or breaking rules fly anywhere.
    Anonymous