Why are you against delinquents being tried as adults?

The thing is if a 17 year old murders another teenager he technically isn't an adult and I constantly hear people calling that 17 year old a child. A year (or less) until that same person is 18 and is an official adult by legal means. I say if anyone commits murder, rape, arson etc they should get the same punishment whether they are 10 or 100. 12 year old know gang raping a woman is wrong so why should they get off so easy? Thats why each generation our quality of people gets worse and worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Im not against it. I think they should be punished to the fullest. I also believe the Death Penalty should be allowed in all states. A life for a life.. If a person kills another person they shouldnt be able to live a cushy life with Television and books and outside time in prison. Kill them assfaces too. Besides taxes would go down with less inmates anyway
    Anonymous

• I am against it. I believe that we have to set a standard for the law that is not subject to emotion. 18 yrs and older: tried as an adult. 17yrs and younger: tried as a minor. Simple.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am defenitely not against it, do an adult crime tried as an adult.

Answer by older at 2:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• So, by your statement, an eight year old shoots a person, they should qualify for the death penalty.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Because a person's brain isn't fully formed until they're in their 20's. That's why the drinking age is 21. Some crimes by some "kids", yes they should be tried as an adult. But you can't make the blanket statement for all kids. Kids, especially younger kids, are more susceptible to peer pressure and don't understand "the rest of your life" or "death penalty".

anon :48.... you are horribly misinformed about the death penalty. Studies show it is not a deterrent to crime, not to mention all the people who have been put to death only to be exonerated posthumously. Taxes would not go down. It costs more to house a death row inmate than any others.
    Anonymous

• Depends of the crime ,

the teens that set that other teen on fire then LAUGHED about it should be tried as adults. They show no remorse and their crime was torture for the vistim and will be for years to come

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't think a person is an adult until they are 21. Id they aren't old enough to legally drink they aren't old enough to get the same sentence as an adult. There is a lot of growing up done between 17 and 21
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Because a person's brain isn't fully formed until they're in their 20's. That's why the drinking age is 21

and yet we send 18 year old kids to war ....

sweet-a-kins

• the teens that set that other teen on fire then LAUGHED about it

But, you are arguing based on emotion. They set a person on fire, that is the crime. Laughing isn't. I understand that it demonstrates their lack of humanity, but that is not a crime in and of itself.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Common sense needs to be used so the punishment fits the crime. A 17 year old who is a murderer, has developed the ability to reason and knows right from wrong and should be tried as an adult.

There have been cases of 12 year olds being tried and convicted as adults. It is ultimately up to the lawyers, jury and judge to decide.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2009