When should I start potty training my son?

My son is 22 months and he is interested in sitting on his potty seat and he will go to the bathroom in the big potty he just isnt very consistent and wont tell me yet? He goes all night most nights without wetting his diaper and doesnt go through too many diapers throughout the day. Should I wait a lil longer or keep trying and whats the best way?

lilmamab07

Asked by lilmamab07 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a good time to start...start putting him on it every 45 mins to an hour...Until he understands what to do, he will probably not tell you many times. Just make it fun and if he rebels then stop and let him lead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well good luck! My DS was 3, he would do it at 2 yrs for a game, but honestly why wear yourself out? He became very interested and we were done in 1 week, I still put a pull up on at night just in case, only because that was easier than changing the bed! I used to put M and M's in the toilet and say try to hit them! He loved it, and I would give him 3 or 4 when he did it. I know there are ALL kinds of stories about 1 1/2 year old Boys being potty trained, but I have yet to meet a real live one that will TELL you they have to go--usually mommie is putting them on the potty every 2 minutes LOL-wait and enjoy your BABY-he won't be one for very much longer-good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree with Kimigogo, earlier might bring a lot of frustration. DS is now 3½, when he was 3, we tried, I would bring him to the bathroom, he would fight me, kick and scream, but once seated, wouldn't get back up. He would cry and call for me until I went and got him. Of course, he wouldn't go. So we just let it go. One weekend, about 4 weeks ago, we decided it was time. He screamed a lot at first (first 4-5 days), but would eventually pee in the potty, then, he started telling us he needed to go, but wouldn't for number 2... OK I realized that I'm getting off track... sorry... within 2 weeks, my son was pretty much accident free, including at night. he is still wearing pull ups, but asks to go to the bathroom. He's had a bout of lose stools and even through this, he didn't have an accident.
    DS #2 was 3½ too and DS#1 was 1 month shy of his 3rd birthday and was potty trained within one week, he was the easiest one.
    Anonymous