Manners

I know this might sound totally rude. But my friends children have no manners and are totally rude!! Her little girl is almost three and eats like a pig! She smacks her food never says please and is always a total mess. Is it a passing thing to have pride in your children and do their hair and teach them manners? My 2 year old DS knows to say please and thank you also he knows you don't eat like that!! Is this to much to ask a three year old!

sarahlu2009

Asked by sarahlu2009 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• the first words we taught my girls were PLEASE and THANK YOU.

and have taught them to ask polite and nice. respect people, and themselves. if they demanded something we don't give it until a proper request with a please is made.

I know they aren't perfect but do their best to their abilities, with some prompting sometimes.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• That's because you are a perfect parent and a perfect person and your children are perfect. Too bad we can't all be like you.
    Anonymous

• imo manners are learned by example: parents using manners in public in front of the kids and role playing, and the occasional reminder "what do we say?" hahaha. maybe the kids arent always like that but forgot, or just arent taight manners enough at home? I say be the stronger person and next time you all eat together, compliment your ds for saying thank you, when you passed him the bread! your friend's kids might catch on and mimic the behavior
    Anonymous

• No it is not too much to ask a 3 yo. In fact that is where it starts. You start teaching them at a young age to have manners so that they grow up an learn to behave properly. My boys don't always remember their "please" and "thank yous" but they try and they do know that it's supposed to be said. Just as "yes ma'am and no ma'am" and "yes sir and no sir" is supposed to be said to adults... that's about 50/50. LOL Manners should not be thought of as a thing of the past... more kids should be taught these, but sadly they are taught less and less.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• 3:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 by: Anonymous

my kids are NOT perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but with proper guidance, and learning by example (if mommy's RUDE then I can be too!) they'll turn out ok

its a work in progress and as they grow and learn things change

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Don't waste your time responding to the anonynasties.

Manners really do matter.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

oh gah shut up, my child has manners and my brother's kids are like the ones op talks about really, is it that hard to get a child to be nice and have manners?!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Don't listen to the anons, manners do seem to be a dying thing, and they are SO important! We are already teaching my ds manners, and he is 1! I insist that my dd says, "Please" and "Thank you" all of the time. I work with elemenatry age kids, and the lack of manners that most kids have is horrible. For example, let's say little "Johnny" wants a cup of juice from me. Nine times out of ten, "Johnny" walks up to me and points to the bottle of juice sitting on the table. My response? Nothing. When he finally realizes that maybe he has to use some words and ask politely, only then will I pour him some juice. I know that no kid is perfect, certainly not mine, but manners are just something that need to be instilled in them from an early age!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It all goes back to the parents not teaching them. It's not out of the realm of possibility for a three year old to have manners. Mine does. He says please, thank you and you're welcome. He even called the exterminator who came a few weeks back, "sir". That I didn't even teach him. Children do learn by example.
    Anonymous

• OH man...in our home manners are HUGE. It is the poor kid who suffer when parents are too darned lazy to take the time, energy and efforts to teach their children necessary life skills. Bad parenting makes bad kids and I feel so sorry for the little ones.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009