Has anyone planned a wedding without their father? If so who gave you away and what did you substitute the father daughter dance with?

Mrs.Menjivar

Asked by Mrs.Menjivar at 3:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• My gay friend Toby! My mother had and accident before our wedding and my Dad was with her, we had a BLAST! WE did the electric slide--after DH danced with his mom, it was a hoot, and broke the ice! PS--Toby died last year, and he never forgot giving me away--he never had kids and he and his partner of 50 years Ron always looked back on my wedding as one of the best times ever!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it depends why you are planning it without your father. you can use a male role model..uncle, grandfather, your mother, your son, your best friend. you dont have to say Who gives this bride...you can just have someone walk you up the aisle. You dont have to ave a father daughter dance at all...or you caould dance with whoever walks you down the aisle. Love the song..If I had only one friend left Id want it to be you. Could apply to anyone...

The good thing is people have such personalized weddings these days you can really tailor it to your situation People will think it is unique and not that you are missing something.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My grandfather gave me away. We had the reception at the church and we don't dance so the father/daughter thing wasn't a problem

Answer by admckenzie at 3:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I walked down the aisle with my son who was 1 1/2 at the time and we didnt have a big reception with the dances and all that so we didnt have to worry about that.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 3:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My dad gave me away. But have a friend, brother, cousin, nephew, boss, co-worker

(:
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 3:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• When, I married my BIL escorted me down the aisle,but,the most gorgeous thing I ever seen,was my DD being escorted down the aisle by her 2 sons,when they got half way down the aisle,they kissed her and then put her hand in my DH hand,he brought her the rest of the way down the aisle,and gave her away. Everybody was crying,and my poor grandsons couldn't stop crying,they kept-ed calling my DD Beautiful Mommy,which she was.

Anonymous

• My neice just got married last month and no one gave her away, she walked down the aisle by herself. Her father and stepfather were both at the wedding. You can do whatever you wish, it is your wedding!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• When my DH and I were figuring those things out I was just going to substitute my brother. Then, we eloped and it was no big deal. I vote for elopement!

Then again, one of my teachers in high school refused to walk his daughters down the aisle because they are not his possessions and he felt that *they* should give themselves to whomever they choose.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I never went through that but if I had to I would ask my mother to give me away because she is still your parent so the symbolism is still there. If you want to have a man give you away then ask a brother or grandfather or other male family member.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My step-dad walked me down the isle - but we opted out of the father/daughter dance...don't get me wrong I care about my step dad - he'd been married to my mom for over 10 years but my dad had died recently at the time of my wedding - and I didn't want to be sad on my wedding day....there's so many other activities/dances - no one really notices...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 4:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009