Rice cereal in bottles

My daughter's pediatrician recommended we start putting rice cereal in her bottle.... they said 1 TBSP in her 4OZ bottle....

What ratio do you use?

I'm just curious.

Also how often do you do it? They told me I could do every bottle... but that seems a little excessive to me.

Thanks!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it says on the box one tablespoon as well, doctor said also try using a spoon first
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ds's ped said1 tablespoon t0 4 oz twice a day
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Are you sure they said 1 Tablespoon and not 1 teaspoon? That does sound like a lot. That also sounds like it would be way too think to be consumed through a bottle.

I've always heard that you should never put rice cereal in a bottle unless the baby has severe reflux. Is that why your dr prescribed it? If your baby is healthy and the dr said to add that much rice cereal just for hunger then I would consult another pediatrician for a 2nd opinion.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• trust me 1TB is not alot when mixed with 4oz of milk you cant even tell its in there but its just enough to keep them from spitting it back up (well most kids!) my DD would spit up everything all the time, she could never be without a bib! we tried every kind of formula out there and nothing worked so the dr told us to do that too, and STILL she spit it up! So we had to make the bottles like malt milkshakes for her to keep something down. She was so small, she was in newborn diapers for 3 months and probably could have been in premie ones. so finally at 6 months we put her on whole milk and never had a days problems again! The dr said some babies just cant do formula and nursing was out of the question because i tired and my milk never came in. so anyways back to your ? we just dumped! LOL but you can do it every bottle and it is true that it helps them sleep better at night! good luck! hope it works for you!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yeah, I know its pretty controversial to do it... my daughter doesn't have severe reflux, but she has had severe diarrhea for 2 weeks now so they've been trying to do a lot of different things to try to thicken her stool... although after 1 bottle w/ rice cereal we've just upgraded to green & smelly lol so we shall see if it really works. And I can't try a different doctor cause my hubby is military... so we have no say due to our insurance unless we are willing to pay 100%
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my pediatrician told me to start off with 1 teaspoon for 4 ounces, in the morning (that's when her reflux is the worst). I haven't done it yet though, I haven't introduced the bottle, and I am hoping the reflux gets better before I do.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• sorry I meant tablespoon.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Ours said one half teaspoon to a four ounce bottle until two months old then up to a teaspoon. Mine have dealt with acid reflux, my DD still has it, and it has helped to some extent but the main purpose was that she needed something in her stomach besides formula at night. But I will say it does sound excessive to do it in every bottle. I'd start out doing it when the reflux is worst. With us that happened to be at night so it worked for two things.

wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Mom dont worry about the controversal stuff! YOU knows whats best for your baby! My mom told me when i was a baby the dr TOLD her to put cereal in my bottle to help me sleep...for no other reason, other than to SLEEP! The problem with todays world is they are too ready to jump to conclusions and blame everything then ourselves. Im sorry but if you child chokes while in your arms having a bottle with cereal, you are obv too busy to notice that they are having a problem to remove it! Right away its just oh that cereal caused my dd to choke! damn that cereal...how about, Oh crap she much have gotten too much in her mouth to swallow or she is drinking faster than she is swallowing! So you do what you feel will help your little one! LIke i said my dd had so much cereal in her bottles they werent liquid anymore! and i never had a days problem and she ate like a champ off a spoon from day 1! good luck again!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Cereal in the bottle can be a choking hazard. Starting solids too early has been linked to increased food allergies and other health issues.

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009