should we pay out a one time payment for 250 bucks to people on social security?

The story is on FOX NEWS, ap google it to find a source you like. Congress and the president are wanting to send out this payment, and Obama is open to borrowing the money, up to thirteen billion right on to the deficit.
Should they do it?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They are talking about giving money to replace the money they aren't giving....so they really ARE giving money, just maybe not so much..or maybe more...I don't know what the COLA was supposed to be.

It is a stimulus, so no. WE ARE BROKE!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I heard about this today. COLA didn't increase this year, so no, I don't believe we should.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I'm not sure what all the protocol is exactly for this idea, but to the basic question of a one time payment to social security, if this is meant to be some sort of stimulus, then no, I think we should stop borrowing money we cannot put back..This is what's damaging our economy. People, not just the government, overborrowing everything from underwear to houses. If the money, in it's physical form, isn't there, you weren't meant to have it, sorry.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It's to offset the fact that there will be no cost-of-living increase for SS this year. I have mixed emotions. MOST elderly people I know could really use the money. But borrowing money to pay it seems very wasteful.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• what is 250 going to do for them?
    Anonymous

• Borrowing the money to offset the lack in COLA isn't going to create any long term benefit. It's a short term "ban-aid" to a bigger challenge in this nation.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think Obama is trying to pat the elderly on the head and stuff a couple of bucks in their pockets in the hope that they don't notice when he guts their medicare.
    Anonymous

• Sound right 4:26 it was my thought too
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well I agree with :26...I do rather money go to the elderly then people like this.

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• lol crissy some were acting as if Obama reached into his pocket for it lollol

pitiful..alot of them dont give a crap where it came from anyway
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009