Why will my 20 onth old talk for her daddy and me but she wont really talk for others. Sometimes she talks to her Nana. Has any one else had this problem?

She can say things like mama, dada, doggie, kittie, bye, hi, baby, moo-moo and nana but around others she wont say a word. She points to things when i ask her too. The Dr. just says to keep working with her.

MommyBee12808

Asked by MommyBee12808 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be intimidation...she feels comfortable with you and nana but others make her indrawn...I mean get down to her level and look at all the adults as they pass you by...this can be really intimidating to a child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• She's probably just a little bit shy. Don't worry she'll be fine. The important thing is that you know she has verbal skills. The rest will come in time. I know lots of little kids who are afraid to talk to strangers.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My daughter was very shy when she was that age..she spoke very well, but would not talk or even look at people she did not want to. She probably is a bit intimidated and shy about other people! My daughter is 2 1/2 and she is a little better now...but she still does not like talking around people she does not know well.. I guess that is a good thing because we teach our children not to talk to strangers!
    tknight78

Answer by tknight78 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Shes probably just shy. My son is 4 and still does that sometimes if he doesn't know the person.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 10:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009