Ever heard of this?

We went to pay for something at Archivers the other day, and when my daughter gave a Canadian quarter as part of the payment, the lady refused it! She said that their bank won't accept them. Daughter said that Starbucks also does that! Since when have Canadian coins not been accepted? I asked at Chase Bank and they hadn't heard of this.

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 3:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Because they aren't American curency they have the right to refuse them. In most cases they don't even look at them enough to do that, but when they do see that they are not US they can. Since Canadian money is worth a different amont than American you would acutally not be paying properly if you use CA instead of US. And you are cheating the establishment. Now, I am shocked that a bank didn't take it because they could easily exchange if for the proper exchange amount and then go through with the transaction. But that's an added headache. I also think it depends on where you live. The closer to the border you are the more likely that you would be able to use it with no issue. But you wouldn't expect a bank to accept Mexican or Brazillian moneys so why would it be a shock that they don't take Canadian.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well Buffalo and the WNY has several bridges to Canada so seeing Canadian coins is pretty common, most cashiers will only accept pennies...we just put Canadian coins in a little dish and take it to the Duty Free on one of the Bridges once a year or so, of course it's best to do that when the exchange rate is pretty even.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• In Maine they are accepted, we live on the border of Canada of course.

Its just good business.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• lol that NEVER happens in Texas
    Anonymous

• I guess I'm shocked since this has NEVER been an issue here in Ohio before. Yes, they don't accept other country's currency, but they have always before accepted Canadian coins.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm surprised too! We get a penny, dime or nickle here & there. We just pass them along..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009