Will you continue to pay medial insurance once child is 18?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• It depends on your insurance. My dads covered us until 23 but we had to be in school to get it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• yes
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes. We have a child with autism, so he will always be a dependent on our health coverage.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Sure,we keep them covered until they are out of college and have a job with good benefits.My son has done this so he isn't covered by us any more but our daughter is in college and of course she is.To not cover them could be a financial tragedy for them.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Agree with the above comment, my insurance stops coverage at 25.

Answer by older at 9:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes. She is covered until she's finished with college.
    bobeena

Answer by bobeena at 4:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I was on my moms while I was in school. Once I stopped going, they dropped me. Darn it.
    Anonymous

• We don't have a choice - our insurance will cover them as long as they are under 18, or as long as they are enrolled full time in school, up to the age 22 I believe it is. Unless we can prove that they are physically or mentally unable to care for themselves, and they are still legally our dependent.

Our health insurance is through the military, btw.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My son is 18 and in college. We actually have a policy that's just under his name. It's not attached to my insurance from work at all. I did this for him a few years ago. Just made sense cause if something happens to me and my work then he's still covered. Cost is pretty minimal actually. I will continue to pay this until he's through college and has a full time job. Then he can take over the cost.
    Ladybeau

Answer by Ladybeau at 6:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I will keep my kids on my ins. as long as possible. WHY NOT???? Um... its for their health and its not like the get some fringe "benefit" it just is there for just in case. I was covered by my mom while I was in college full time and will do the same for mine.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009