Monster issues ..... help!!!

So last night my daughter freaked out...hystericaly crying there were monsters in her room. After I got her calmed down daddy went and checked her room, he red her some stories ( which do not include any monsters). She wanted him to lay down with her so he did. As soon as he tried to leave she got hysterical again saying she wanted to sleep with us in our room. She sleeps with a night light on currently because she started being afraid of the dark about 6-8 months ago. Today she won't take a nap in her room because of the monsters and wanted me to lay with her..but of course she was not going to nap because I was there. So what to do now...I am going to try the "monster spray" see if that works..but she is very advanced for her age. She is 2 1/2 and she speaks like a 4 yr old, knows all of her ABC/123's..Very active immagination..so how do I in a sence trick her?

tknight78

Asked by tknight78 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do whatever you can think of! Have her draw a picture of some sort (maybe a "shield" or even a picture of her "vanquishing" the monsters) and hang it up over her bed, and tell her that it will keep the monsters away.
    Or tell her that the monsters are just lonely, and really just want someone to talk to, and they only look scary because it's dark. If she's got an active imagination, this might be a good one to use. I did this with some kids I used to babysit, and it worked.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you say their is a monster spray that will get rid of the monsters she should believe you. Kids believe a lot of things.
    Have you tried talking to the monsters yet. tell them" to leave your DD alone". Some time the weirdist things work for this type of stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Why do we even tell our children there are monsters?

I had a son that thought there were monsters in the bathroom. I hung a shell wind chime and told him it kept monsters out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Get a spray dispenser aand tell her it is to remove monsters, fill it with water and spray them away!

Answer by older at 4:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• went threw this xo hugs to u xo what worked for me was a small bottle with glitter in it ( thats the fairys magic dust ) have it under pillow when she goes to bed so if the monsters try to come out the fairy princess will know she feels scared and will come ( in invisable form ) and scare the moster away...also giving a small flash light that they can contorl and turn on when they want to helps. ( get xtra battaries ) good luck..it took me about 2 days for my dd to feel safe..but it was great when dd came down the next am and said mommy the magic dust worked...no monsters!
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i will also add i had xtra magic dust that i did sprinkle in her room were she wanted it ( corners, front of closet door ) but take a few days before vaccuming it up, best to vaccum it up when shes not around ( tell her the fairys took it back to regenerate the magic) just a lil xtra safety feeling...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My dad had "Fairy Dust" in his jewelry box which he sprinkled in my room every time I saw monsters. It was magical dust (kind of like the monsters) and was therefore invisible. I got to tell dad exactly where I saw them and he sprinkled more or less accordingly. The dust was usually good for a few weeks before the monsters came back. Its something to try.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Let her watch the movie monsters inc :) My kids love that movie and have never had any problems with monsters. That may help teach her that they are only going to make her laugh now that they know that laughing gives them more "energy"... lol.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• When my daughter was small,we had monster issues too. I did the "monster spray", and gave her an old necklace I had and never wore. I told her that because it's "Mommy's necklace" it would keep her safe. It worked wonderfully! She's 22 now, and she still has the necklace in her jewelery box. Good luck, Momma!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• So I tried the Spray and it worked for about 4hrs...cudos to those it did work for though! She was really excited and convinced it worked, but when she woke up that was a different stroy..She wanted the room sprayed but she was still extreamly upset..Oh well I am going to now try the Fairy dust see if she digs the fairy princess thing!!
    Thanks for all the ideas!
    tknight78

Answer by tknight78 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009