How much weight can you lift when you're pregnant?

I just found out i am pregnant with my second child my son just turned one and he is 20.8lbs he cant walk at all yet and im worried that lifting his weight while pregnant might be harmful to my new baby so any thoaghts or comments? Please dont call me dumb my first pregnancy i didnt have another baby to haul with me to work like i do now lol : ) im just worried about my new one being healthy thanks for your input.

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Lifting your child won't hurt your pregnancy. I only know of one person who was pregnant and couldn't lift any other children. Her doctor told her that she was high risk and she couldn't even pick up a gallon of milk... I have 3 kids and am pregnant with our 4th, and still do everything that I did before I got pregnant.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I carried my 3.5 year old up until the day my baby was born.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The general guidelines is 20-25 pounds unless you have complications and are instructed to not carry that much. I, from time to time, pick up my 5 year old, who is about 46 pounds, I just use proper lift techniques to be careful.

My mom gets paranoid when I lift anything because the potential risk is placental abruption (when the placenta detaches from the uterus wall), which she had with a previous pregnancy before I was born from heavy lifting. The result was my brother born stillborn whenshe was 5 months pregnant.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you're used to lifting him, it shouldn't be a problem. I was working in a pet supply store when I got pregnant, and we had to lift 20-50lb bags of livestock feed onto 5ft high shelves; I had been working there for a few months already and built up my strength. I stopped lifting the 50lb bags immediately, and then only lifted the 30lb and under bags.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009