What are your thoughts for in-home sick care for your children?

Have you ever been in a situation where you had a meeting you just couldn't miss at 9am, but your 6 year old woke up with a 101 fever and your husband was out of town? What would you do? Have you ever considered having someone come and sit with your child, making sure they were okay while you attended to your business? How many moms would call a 'mildly ill child care resource center'? Am I alone in thinking this is a good idea? Of course it would have to be someone bonded or insured, trustworthy, etc. Please tell me your thoughts! Thanks!

dejavumomof2

Asked by dejavumomof2 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's a good idea, but the caretakers would have to have some sort of medical training just in case.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I MIGHT do it with an older child, but I don't think I could leave my toddlers with anyone that I didn't know pretty well. When they are too sick for daycare, my husband and I usually each take off half a day, and in a pinch I have asked my mom to take off a day or half day to help us out. I guess if I lived where I had no back up, I might consider looking into it, but I would have a very hard time leaving little ones alone with whoever showed up. Maybe if it was a service you could pre-register for and actually meet a few of the providers before the first time you use it that might help, especially if you could compile a list of providers who would be acceptable to you personally..
    Anonymous

• I used to work for the home health dept. of my local hospital, and did sick child care for a couple of families. I'm a CNA, and have the qualifications to do this type of work. Most of my assignments were for elderly people, but it's nice to take care of a child once in a while. As a mother, I agree that having this kind of service available is a good idea! Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Our local hospital has this....It's called "Sniffles and Sneezes"!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• In college my roommate babysat a family who had a certain daycare provider for just when their kids were sick. It was an older (a grandma), single lady. She watched sick kids pretty much every day from what they said. Almost everyone in their office would use her and loved her. She took good care of all the sick kids.
    Anonymous

• I did once....

but it was the neighbor who popped in to make sure they were ok,
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Honestly, I would not. I would either cancel my meeting or have a friend or family member come in. Having children requires flexability. To be honest though, I have never had a situation close to this. Our kids haven't been sick yet, and as of now one of us will always be home with them. When it happend with us when we were kids, my mom always had family sit with us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Personally I would never do that. But, I would also never leave my child in daycare either. I will never let myself be in a situation where my child can't be taken care of by myself or someone I know personally and trust. If I were in that situation and I could not find a friend or family member to care for my child I would not go to the meeting.
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My child comes before all business.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, but when a child is sick they usually want or need their Mommy. I couldn't leave my sick child with anyone other than my husband and not feel awful about it. My children come before business.
    Anonymous