Women in the bible...

So many times I here the explination that there is no God the mother and that Marry was the mother of Jesus, and etc (blah, blah, blah). But why? If man was created in the image/likeness of God then why is there no equal partner for Him? We know that there must be balance; Ying and Yang. Yet, Jesus faced all tempation, but had no mentions of a woman encounter (in the bible). And, Jesus was born to a virgin(again the male has NO interaction w/the woman). Just wondering, why the bible has such little mention of women, period. Note that even when it does mention a woman her role is very small and she is wither wicked, a whore, poor, widowed or shamed.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 5:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• duhhhhhhhh because the bible is a STORY, a fairy tale, a FAKE, written by some old mean millions of years ago. you still didnt know that yet silly?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• oh and homosexuality is wrong(in the bible). But I guess that is another temptation that Jesus secretely went through and it just wasnt important enough to mention it in the bible.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Perhaps you are looking to read the Gnostic or Apocrypha texts? The current "official" Bible does not contain all of the books written for Christian education. There are many more stories out there that imply very different things and show more women participating in the growth of this religion. There is even of Gospel of Mary.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• To clarify, the Gospel of Mary is Mary Magdalene and this book hints that she may be the wife of Jesus as Levi tells Peter "Jesus loved her more than us" and then the book goes on to illustrate the importance of female influence in the formation of the church.

Some people truly believe in these "lost" books of the Bible and hold the station of women very high.

All religions develop based on the politics and desires of their leaders. Omission and inclusion are intentional acts. Sadly, our planet is plagued with leaders who have more self-interest than desire for enlightenment.... for the last 10,000 years!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ummm i'm not going to get into a debate but I will say u might want to go back and re-read the bible.. not all women were portrayed as you have said. There was Deborah who was a judge. There were many women who helped support the ministry of Paul and Peter and other disciples with their money (aka they couldn't have been very poor).. there are women who were deaconess' , read Proverbs 31.

Also, I love the stories of the women who were portrayed as "whores"... it shows God's love, mercy and grace.. no matter what you've done. Some of us can relate to those stories and it brings freedom instead of condemnation and guilt from our pasts and we know our God - creator of heaven and earth,.. by giving His Son as a sacrafice for all - forgives us of our sins.
    Anonymous

• Jesus interacted with women much more than was the cultural norm at the time...2,000 years ago, guys were wondering what was wrong with him talking with so many women so much.

I strongly doubt every interaction with our gender is recorded...but I do know one of the last thing Jesus did before he died was to make sure his mother was looked after, and I do know the first people who saw him after the resurrection were women -- he chose to see them before his apostles even...I think that means something.

Anonymous

• i think it has to do with the culture of that time. i mean its nothing new for woman to be treated below men, so i wouldnt be surprised if stories of heroic women were either purposely kept out of the NT or were never written down...Dorcus & Lydia are the only women who come to mind.

however the OT has many great stories of heroic women: Deborah, Esther, Ruth & Naomi, Rahab, Hannah, Zipporah, Jael. not all women in the Bible are evil like Jezebel & Delilah. you should really read about these women...Jael especially, her story is awesome imo (kinda gruesome tho).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I disagree!
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/20051108a/article_01.htm
    AmourDeMere

Answer by AmourDeMere at 7:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I've read about the women in the bible, and while most of them do fit the description as I stated above, there are a few that are deemed "good/virtuous" however there is always a catch 22 when reading about them.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2009