What does your religion say about divorce and remarriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The bible says that God hates divorce, but if its for "sexual impurity" he is "ok with it?" However, you should not remarry, though I haven't read that you can't remarry. I personally don't like divorce unless its because spouse is cheating, and even then I think it can be forgiven, just harder to accept. Remarriage: I think that as long as it's not going to be an ongoing thing about divorcing and remarrying... if you find someone that you love and can relate to: go for it.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I have no religion. But I think that you should try to work out your problems (other than abuse, which is inexcusable and unacceptable). If you knew about the problems before you got married, then why did you marry them? But if you go to counseling and therapy and things just don't work out, then why would you subject yourself to a life of misery by staying with that person? And the people who say "We're staying together for the kids" are just pulling that out of their asses, because the kids usually end up more screwed up than the parents, and they don't know how a healthy relationship is supposed to be!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• In islam, divorce is permissible though it is hated by God. He does allow for it under circumstances it is better to stay together and be patient. he does not want you to be in a situation where you are sinning (fighting, cursing, bashing eachother, being abused, abusing physically or emotionally) however if you do divorce it may be that God will reconcile you with each other again or that he will provide a better partner for you.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Divorce is allowed in the case of adultery and you are allowed to remarry when the divorce is due to adultery.

Matthew 5:31 “You have heard the law that says, ‘A man can divorce his wife by merely giving her a written notice of divorce.’[b] 32 But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultery. And anyone who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i agree with bonn777_ also if you dont find a good husband then dont remarry, its better to be single and serve the Lord but its not a sin to marry.
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Doesnt say anything really. Its up to the individual situation and people involved.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Who is matthew? Did he meet Jesus?
    Anonymous

• those word were written in red - so it's Jesus speaking and its also in Mark and Luke.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I'm pagan... most pagans say that divorce and remarriage is fine. We take into account that human nature is in a constant state of flux and that people can grow apart. Our marriage vows are usually for either a year and a day (after which they can be renewed or allowed to expire) or for "as long as love lasts." Not forever.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am pagan. For the mostpart marriage is seen as something that should last as long as the couple are willing to make it work. If they aren't in love why continue with a marriage that makes them both unhappy? Pagans tend not to see a reason. Many pagan couples have a non-legal handsfasting which last a year and a day before having a legally binding marriage or do not ever have a legal one. We tend to view legally binding marriages as just that - legal procedings and give them no sway over love.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009