Hello... I just found out 3 days ago that I am pregnant.. This would me my 1st baby and I dnt have any idea what would happen.

I need to know what type of food should I eat? Can I exercise?

IsabelF

Asked by IsabelF at 5:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can do anything you were doing before-minus drugs and alcohol and tobacco.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes! You can exercise. Keep you body temp in the normal range. If you normally do hatha yoga in a heated room, you'll have to give that up. Too hot. You can lift, but you want to use small weights with a lot of reps. You can run, but wear good shoes. You know, common sense stuff. If you didn't really exercise much before, do low impact things.

Eat well. Eat as many fruits and veggies as you can. Get a high quality vitamin. Try harder not ot eat junk. Skip the caffeine bc it has been linked to low birth weight and pre-term labor. Drink a lot of water. Your body is making a lot of blood right now. Drink!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Stay away from anything bad! No drugs, alcohol, don't be around smoke. Fish only once a week and none high in mercury. Find a doctor, get prenatal vitamins. Slow down be extra careful for the first 12 weeks. If you have any other questions pm me :)
    meli_mommy

Answer by meli_mommy at 5:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• you can exercise, i just wouldnt do abs and when your belly starts to get big, i wouldnt run on the tredmill. but i exercised with weights, walking and the elliptical while i was pregnant. eat lots of folic acid, like whole wheat pasta & bread, fruits veggies protein low fat cheeses, drink orange juice & water ..etc. no tuna fish or deli meats.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• first off...CONGRATULATIONS!

you can continue doing pretty much everything except the smoking and drinking.

drink lots of water (you may get constipated blech...)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Congrats!! May I suggest buying "What to expect when you're expecting" ? It's an excellent read and answers quite a few questions. We're here for you the rest of the time though : )
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• congratulations yes you can exercise and you can eat what you want but eat lots of protein and calcium enriched foods..and lots of water

Answer by admckenzie at 6:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• congrats! usually the library will have a few good books on pregnancy =) to get you started. here is a link i have on nutrition

http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx

Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Congrats. I was scared to death when I found out I was pregnant with my first. I had a great friend give me the book, Your Pregnancy Week by Week. I recommend it over What to Expect because What to Expect tends to traumatic to a first time pregnant woman. WTE tells you all the horrible things that can happen in the first few chapters. It is good if you are the paranoid type, but if you are trying to stay excited, I don't suggest you read it until month 3. I also liked the book, A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. All the books above let you know about diet and exercise. My advice is to do what you can. The first few months can be tough. Eat what stays down and exercise when you can but not so that you are exhausted for the next few days.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2009