How to entertain 23 month old during a road trip?

We are going on a 3 hour road trip tomorrow and I would like to know some "temper taming" things that may be a good idea to take along. The furthest he's ever been in 1 1/2 hours. So this will be interesting! Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Travel

• His favorite food! DS loves goldfish and banana's and he learned to peel them on a road trip. We didn't teach him, but I left them on the back seat next to him and he really wanted them, so he figured it out! Also a magna doodle or other drawing pad is a real lifesaver. Some stuffed animals to get comfy with. DS is 3.5 now and we both crash while DH drives. I will sing silly songs with him too if i am alone in the car with him.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Take plenty of small snacks and drinks and a variety of small toys. If you have a dvd player for the car that would probably be good. Kiddie music CDs are good. If you have a Magnadoodle type drawing board, that is usually pretty good too. If your son has a special blanket or stuffed animal be sure and bring those. If you have flexibility in your travel time, you might try going at nap time so he will sleep part of the way. GL!
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old loves the DVD player in the car..If you have a portable one, or even a laptop with the power thingy plug in in the ciggerette lighter. It keeps him entertained off an on with his fav movie. Also, are you going to be having elevation chages? keep something chewy around. fruit snacks etc, so his ears can pop!
    rileygirl

Answer by rileygirl at 5:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You could also get one of those lap desks, that is like a pillow but a hard surface top and you could bring along crayons and paper and coloring books, depending on how into coloring he is. You could sit next to him in the back and draw with him, showing him how to draw shapes and playing games. You could also find a simple connect the dots/dot-to-dot book. That could be fun to show him how to do. He may not be able to do it well but he could try. Hope you guys have fun!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• DVD player. I also have kids songs that I play on my Ipod or cd's in my car. I also love to get those special wonder markers and color books, they only color on the paper so there is no mess. we always bring a baby and our favorite blanket. Juice cup and cereal - first stop when done is always the car wash for a quick vaccuume of the mess!

Good Luck :)
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• DVD player, some snacks and a coloring book.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 12:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009