Talk to your doctor... (vaccine question)

Over and over again on this site I see people say if you are looking in to the facts about vaccines talk to your doctor. But here's the question. Since the number of anti-vaccine doctors has tripled over the last 2 years what happens if you do talk to your doctor?

There are doctors that are going to tell you (as our first one did) that without all the vaccines your kids are at risk of death. And there are doctors that will tell you (as my current one does) that vaccines are not needed and are generally more dangerous than the illnesses they are supposed to prevent...

So, how is the advice of "talk to your doctor" really sound advice? And what do you do if (or when) you disagree with the advice your doctor provides? Or worse, what happens when you get mixed signals from different doctors?

Should you do the research yourself or blindly trust your doctor?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• You talk to your doctor to get the information they have to offer and then you do your own research. If you have a good doctor they aren't going to push one side or another on you they will give you the pros and cons of each option and then let you decide. People who fully trust others without doing their own research are ignorant IMO
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• One of the things that has helped our family make good decisions is by seeking info from outside the US. What is done in the UK? How about a place with really healthy kids like the Netherlands? What about places with very sick people like sub-Saharan Africa?

Since thimerosal is banned in the EU, we choose not to get any vaccines that are combos or singles that contain thimerosal. The international research was more honest in our opinion.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I talk to my kids doctor but I also check things out for myself. My kids are older and have most of their vaccines but I am to the point that enough is enough and unless I feel it's necessary my kids won't be getting any more vaccines.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We went through 4 different peds in my oldest first 6 weeks of life. The first looked me straight in the eyes and told me that I am nothing more than a parent and have no right to make choices like this for my child. He then told me that if I didn't vaccinate my children they would without a doubt die and that it would be my fault and he would make sure that I am prosecuted for killing my child.

The second and third both just refused to treat a child that didn't have all their vaccines.

My current peds (who we have been with 3+ years) is generally pro-vax. But is also very honest with the fact that there is little to know reason to give them. She said that vaccines do not stop children from getting sick, they simply control how sick they get. And refuses to give certain vaccines at all (H1N1).

It's like dealing with polar opposites!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF! Doctors are their to give an opinion. It is your job as a parent to form your OWN opinion and make choices for your child. I can't stand people who blindly follow doctors.
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• At the Ped I take my son to, there is 4 different doctors with 4 different opinions. One is a woman from India, she has worked for assorted groups in 3rd world nations. She thinks that vax's are great because she has DEALT with the diseases they prevent or weaken. Another doctor in the practice swears by them because they allow doctors to concentrate on other illnesses. The third is questioning some of them, and currently doing more research of his own after he had a bad reaction from a patient. The fourth I have yet to meet. I personally got three opinions before I started vaxing. They are all very understanding that its a scary process. The thing that really tipped the scales for me was when the doctor who had treated patients with the diseases, she saw what they did and explained it to me. Not something I even want to contemplate. She didn't try to scare me, she just told me what she saw.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• research it yourself! and research both sides and come to your own educated conclusion!
    Anonymous

• Don't talk to your doctor, talk to multiple doctors. Ask for there reasoning and whether or not they have some informative papers or websites to look up. Ask the doctors for references and personal preferences and then decide for yourself... I personally do vaccinate and feel every child should be vaccinated but in the end it's not up to me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I never really thought about it that way. I guess I just assumed most people had doctors that agreed with their point of view. I think that talk to the doctor is good advice and then after you get information from them you can also research on their own and talk to them about what you found and what your feelings are. That is what we do with our doctors.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well, I did talk to my kids' doctor. She asked if I wanted a few optional vaccines. I said "no" even though my kids have the usual ones, and we went on with our lives.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2009