how can you tell...

if somethings wrong with your baby when they fall and hit their head on the floor? my dd is starting to crawl and get into the sitting position on her own but shes still a little wobbly. i looked up and saw her sitting and a second later she fell backwards and hit her head on the carpet and it made a loud bang. she cried a second later so i got up to get her and she stopped when i gave her her binky. how can you tell is somethings wrong though? im really afraid bc her doctor wanted me to get a head ultrasound bc her heads in the higher percentile for growth and were still waiting for the appt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had to have a ct done on his head also they said it was big for his body and they thought maybe he had fluid on his brain. well we went and everything was normal. chances r that if they did not try to get u in asap then everything is ok...but just after she hits her head dont let her sleep for a couple hours gl
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If her binky calmed her down, she's probably fine. You could keep her up for a bit if you're really worried. If she behaves normally, isn't crying more than normal, isn't extra clumsy (I know hard to tell at this age), pupils dilate to the same size, no fluid coming out of ears, etc, then she's fine. This will be the first of many, many, many head bonks to come!
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 6:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My baby just started crawling a month ago and I've had the same issues. She also stands up and walks along furniture. I'm so nervous after she takes a spill too. I guess all you can do is watch and observe the behavior
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My LO did that when he was learning to sit up as well. They all will have bumps and bruises. Unless your child fell from a far distance then I wouldn't worry. Falling from a sitting position and especially on carpet wouldn't do any major damage. I'm sure you can find more information online though if you are still uneasy.
    foistela

Answer by foistela at 8:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son isnt quite walking yet but walks around the furniture and with holding hands. Ever since he learned to crawl and pull himself up he takes spills. For the first few weeks despite all of my efforts he had lil bruises on his forhead. He usually will only cry for a few seconds and as soon as he is comforted he is fine. I was told that usually they will let you know if its serious. And be prepard this is just the begining of the bumps and brusies and being paraniod. My sister told me it gets worse as they learn to run, and such cuz they take harder spills.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2009