• In the Spotlight:

Troop funds diverted to pet projects?

Can anyone justify this?

While earmarks are hardly new in Washington, "in 30 years on Capitol Hill, I never saw Congress mangle the defense budget as badly as this year," said Winslow Wheeler, a former Senate staffer who worked on defense funding and oversight for both Republicans and Democrats. He is now a senior fellow at the Center for Defense Information, an independent research organization.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/15/troop-funds-diverted-to-pet-projects/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Surprise, surprise.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Disgusting but not surprising
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• $20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat. <---------BARF

What a bunch of pigs!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• a load of crap what is happening to this once great Nation...We have to make it great AGAIN.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• throwing up

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Kind of like that funding for firefighters that went to ACORN instead even after Congress put a stop to funding them.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 7:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The words Department of Defense and budget in itself are laughable. But this begs the question, WHY are you finally getting pissed off now? Why not get pissed about all the useless and extra spending done with military contractors? Tire flat on the humvee? Fuck it, we'll just get a new humvee so that a civilian contractor can make some $$. That shit has been happening for YEARS now, but now we get our panties in a wad because politicians decided to be... oh wait, dishonest?! Does it piss me off? Sure... but I've been pissed off for years because the DoD spends its money carelessly. Trust me, that $2.6 billion would've likely been spent on bull shit civilian contractors anyway. The DoD does NOT have our soldiers best interest at heart, and congressmen and women sure as hell don't either.

But honestly, if you're surprised by this it's about time you pulled your head out of your ass.

And your now 0-3 Carpy.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 8:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Jaffra mommy, not all defense contractors are scum. I know because I am one. I hold a contract and I offered it a the absolute best price I could, just like I do anything we make.

Of course there will be abuses, there are everywhere, but you suggestion about the humvee was WAY overblown. Contracts are very specific in nature and it isn't unusual for more than 100 companies to bid on one contract. My contract was hard to get and I put in more 75 bids before winning my first. It also took almost a year to get through the "vetting" process to be a contractor.

No all contractors are bad, some put out high quality products at a great price AND pay their workers an above living wage.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• yourspecialkid, I didn't come up with the humvee situation, that was actually spoken by a soldier. 3:16 is where you can find the story about the flat tire, but it's with a truck, not a humvee. $100 to do a load of laundry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJlJudDtVE

Do all contractors abuse the system? Nope. But the biggest ones do.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• hey Jafra, can you post without swearing or is it just the way you try to get your POV across?
    Anonymous