Colic? Acid reflux? Lactose intolerant? Normal?

My baby boy (born 9/9) is CONSTANTLY puking. I swear, he pukes up half of what he eats! My oldest never spit up, so this is very unusual to me. I asked the doc about it at his 2 week check up and he said as long as he's a happy baby and is gaining enough weight, it's probably just normal spit up. Well, he's definitely gaining weight, but some days it's kind of rough. Last night it took me a couple hours to get him calmed down enough to go to bed. But then some days he's just fine (other than the puking all the time) How do i know what is normal or if it's something more serious?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 6:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd be concerned if there was weight loss. But without that...it may merely be a laundry problem. It's normal for them to take hours to settle down for bed evenwithout the puking.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You might just be feeding him too much at once. Try feeding him half as much twice as often---if you have the time, that may even be too much. Its worth a try, it could make your baby a lot happier.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Is he screaming or in pain when he spits up/pukes? That would be an indicator of acid reflux. Is he gassy & whatnot with it? That would indicate lactose intolerance. Is he just completely inconsolable no matter what you do or don't do? That could mean colic. *MY* first suggestion would be to try a different formula - lactose free or even soy (lactose free would be a better first choice). Try holding him in a football hold - on his belly draped over your forearm, his face in your hand and legs stradling your elbow - a classic colic hold. If he's screaming/in pain, then he needs a dr's help.
    Anonymous

• If he starts losing weight or you notice blood in his spit up, then I would be a little concerned. Every child is different, some just spit up more than others. If he isn't screaming like he is hurt when he spits up, then give him a little less formula, or maybe water it down a little, it might be a little too substantial for him right now. Feed him very slowly as well. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, just that you have to deal with him a little differently. Once you thin his formula a little and maybe give it to him slower or just hive him a little less, try using gripewater on him. You may have to check the internet to see who in your area carries it. That could also help. The things mentioned above by Anonymous are also really good suggestions, on the lactose intolerant and changing formulas. Best of luck.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 9:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Guess i forgot to mention that i'm breastfeeding. No formula. To answer the questions.... No screaming when he's puking, just before. Definitely gassy. He's not completely inconsolable. I can get him to calm down for a bit. Like half an hour. The problem is, he'll calm down then out of no where arch his back, get all stiff and start screaming. It seems like gas to me, but Mylicon didn't help at all.

I'm going to try cutting most of the dairy out of my diet and see if that helps him. THAT is going to be hard....And i'm going to try gripewater. I've heard that stuff works miracles!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2009