What do people do for after-school care for their middle schoolers?

My 11 year old daughter just started 6th grade, and I don't feel good about our after school options. I do not get home from work untill 2.5 hours after my daughter gets home. In elementary school, she went to after school care at her school, but her middle school does not offer this. I contacted Day Care centers and individuals that offer home daycare, but the other kids are quite a bit younger. So far, my daughter has just been going home by herself. She thinks she's too old to go to daycare and likes being home alone. She is responsible and I do trust her. So far there haven't been any problems, but I just don't like the idea of her being home alone that long every day. My sister thinks that I'm overly concerned about it and should just relax. What do other people do with their tweens after school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She's at that in between age, I didn't leave mine at home at that age either. My sons friends whose mom's work are usually involved in after school classes at our parks n rec, and one mom I know has her daughter go to the Boys & Girls Club everyday, they even have a bus that picks up from her school. I'd check into those things, and maybe ask some of the other parents at your school.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Is there a friend she can go home with? what about an specialized after school program? Around here your l=kids can go to 'daycare' run by places like Karate and ballet schools. They pick the kids up, they give them a snack and homework time and then they do a class or two depending on what you choose... That way its not daycare it's ballet class or Karate class.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• There is a Karate studio that offers it, but my daughter is in no way interested. She says that she doesn't want to go to any after school program. She just likes coming home and unwinding on her own. I guess I just want someone to tell me it's ok and I'm not a bad mom for letting her do it.
    Anonymous

• 2 1/2 hours, trust your daughter it has to start at some point
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you trust her then I would say it's okay. I would make sure that she knows her boundaries. I personally would want a phone call when she walked into the house and expect the phone to be answered should I call later in the day. You know your daughter and whether or not it is a good idea to leave her alone. I would also say to yourself 'do I trust her neighborhood friends' if she has any. They can sometimes cause just as much trouble for her as she could do alone if they are not a good influence. I am quite sure she is old enough to not burn the house down or invite a complete stranger into the house... like i said though I would be more concerned with her ability to follow through on coming home and coming home alone as expected. You should know your daughter. This is totally your call.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• At 11 I was babysitting for young children (no babies until I was older) but I never felt it was safe for my children to stay for long periods alone at that age. Is there an middle school based after school program in your town? In our town there is the power house, well supervised house close to the jr-sr high school. Students go, over get a snack, help with homework, and have diff games/activities available, along with a short Bible lesson. There is same type thing in neighboring town called Higherbound, this is the one I'm involved with. It gives the kids a safe place to be and they seem to have alot of fun, at least they keep coming back. I would check out to see if something like this is available.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I will deal with this next year, but there is an after school program offered through the parks and rec dept. It's pretty affordable, too. I'm not planning to let her stay home alone until HS.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• ask her if she wants to go chill at one of her friends house but make sure that her friends mother knows where they are.
    Anonymous

• She should be fine for 2.5 hours. My son was doing that at the same age. Now at 13 he stays home for much longer periods of time. If you trust her, then let the situation stay as it is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I dont think I would have a problem trusting MY daughter it's trusting other people. Kids, grown ups, anyone else that knows she is home alone. I wouldnt be able to do it.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2009