Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take my 21 Month old Back to the Hospital???

I took my dd into the er on sunday she had a fever of 101 she has all of the "cold" symptoms. Sneezing , watery eyes , coughing , fever , runny nose. Anyways she still has all over these symptoms and hasnt gotten any better, since sunday i have given her half a bottle of fever reducer. My dd was a micro preemie born at 23 weeks she has lung problems in general but no breathing problems since this has started. When i took her to the er the gave her motrin and sent us home. Tonight her fever was back up 100.6 so i gave her another dose of meds and now she's taking a nap. I feel like the fever has been going on to long but I am a first time mom so I need some suggestions what do you momma's think ? Should I taker her back??


Asked by toledoohiomom at 7:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I would have to agree with the things said above if your child was a full term baby. Since she was a micro preemie, I would AT LEAST call the nurse's hotline for your area. Preemie's have different standards for fevers and such than full term children. Call the hotline and tell them what is going on. Even with full term babies, a pediatrician will tell you that if the fever isn't broken for good after two days to take them in. It shouldn't take that long. Call the hotline just to make sure since you have a preemie. They are much more susceptible to viruses and germs than full term babies. Best of luck.

    Answer by Eco-Mother at 10:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • If the motrin is working then id wait until the morning to make a sick visit appt. As long as the fever is going down with the meds then shell be fine. Id just keep your eye on her and wait till the morning. My dd had a high temp that would NOT go down with tylenol or motrin. thats when you have to worry, She wound up having pnemonia. So if its under 102 then stick it out GL I know how hard it is:)

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • Relax. Her fever's not that high, and it's actually a "good" thing because her body is trying to fight off whatever infection she has. Besides, you say she got sick Sunday, most colds can last up to 2 weeks! Fever's are known for rising at night, too. Make sure she's drinking LOTS of clear fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated!

    Answer by tnm786 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • also give her pedialite or watered down gatorade to avoid dehydration. Stick to the brat diet in the mean time. bananas, rice, apple sause and toast. DO NOT give her milk, water, or juice

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • and when I said high (pnemonia) I meant 104. like PP said, her temp is not that high and will always spike at night. A cold however will not cause a fever like that so Id make an appt like prev said. She prob just has an ear infection. Ears, eyes, nose and throut are all connected so even though it seems like acold, a fever means infection

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • Neither of those are considered high fevers for a toddler. Pediatricians usually recommend a fever of 104 before taking your child into the emergency room. If anything, I suggest making a doctor appt or urgent care. An ER wait would be unnecessary with those symptoms.
    I only know this because I've so been there. Every time my daughter is sick I freak out.. But every time I freak out doctor says she is fine.
    Also, if your daughter weighs enough you can give her CHILDRENS motrin or tylenol.

    Answer by mommacierra at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • i took her temp 2 hrs ago and then gave her the fever reducer she took a nap and woke up i took her temp again and it went up .2 degrees I know the temp isnt super high but but it worrys me , my dd had disabilites and she is completely fed by mic-key button (feeding tube) she had rsv last year and is behind in shots b/c i cant get threw to her ped's office i have even tried to get a new ped and i cant find anyone in the area that takes her insurance, maybe im overly concerned but last year they said the samething and then we ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days and she had to go home on oxygen and was left with asthma.

    Answer by toledoohiomom at 8:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • be careful if you are using motrin because even though it tends to work better/faster than tylenol it can lead to kidney problems if used too often... anyway b/c you have a micro preemie i would definitely agree with the PP to try to call her doctor or a nurses hotline, ERs are very germy places so only go to that route if you have NO choice... her fevers not terribly high but i know people worry...i too have a 21 month old who had a fever of 103.4 on sunday (10-11-09), gave him tylenol nd took him to the dr tuesday morning... he had a throat culture taken but as of right now he is fine running a temp between 98.3 and 99

    Answer by ShaniAngel at 6:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009