what will doc do at 3 yr well check app if he is not on level where he is suppose to be with speech

im scared i feel like im not doing what im suppose too im a stay at home mom and i try to work with him but he has no patients ... what will the doc say or do will they get him into some speech classes ?or what?

ashley_nick30

Asked by ashley_nick30 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is delayed and his dr sent him to be evaluated by a speech therapist and once that was done, he was/is in speech therapy.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• thompson how did sppech go for him? did u see alot of improvement
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my 7 and 8 year old daughters both went into speech class as soon as they started school and it has helped sooooo much.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 7:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• yes he has made so much improvement and he loves going. his therapist is really great with him. my son will be 3 in november. you can message me if you want. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Where I live they give you a number to call to get free therapy for what ever delay the child has.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 8:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my almost three year old and five year old son's are both in speech they ahve been for a while now. great improvements from both of them. but truly it depends on what the speech issue is not everything is a quick fix with speech therapy, just remember it takes time and patience! you should get ref to a speech therapist for an eval and then if they think he needs it they'll go to insurance and try to get you approved its a pretty easy process. good luck!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• A very good friend of mines son is very speech delayed. (I am posting anon for her sake) Her son was set up with a gov't program here called 'babies can't wait' he got speech and occupational therapy in home for a year for age 2-3. This year he will be starting 'school' for 3 hours a day which is basically continued therapy plus getting him ready to be in a class room environment for next year. He has showed a lot of improvement. He will say 3-4 words now and will sign a few more. Now keep in mind he is severely delayed. not speaking at all at age 2. For your son the doctor may only recommend a speech therapist who will work with your child at his level. She will know exactly how to keep his interest and work with him productively. It is what he or she does! They are all trained to work with different types of kids at all different ages and levels. :0) Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Hi, there is a program called birth to three here in CT.It is for 2-4 yearolds.It is awonderful program.My son worked with them, they came out to my home every week and did fun age appropriot things with him.Helps! I don't know where you live but ask about it, every state has something wether it's a different name or not i don't know.Hope thats helpful.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• my pedi refered my son to a hearing, vision and speech eval, they said my son hears well, has good vision and he speech wasnt delayed enough to qualify for therapy. he was so hard to understand when he was 3. my pedi said she thought he sounded like a normal 3 yr old but refered him because of my concern. dont feel bad unless you are exposing your child to no speech, some kids just need extra help or time to learn, now that my son is 4 most people can understand him, he has a great vocab and still says some words incorrectly as he learned them like popcicle is pronounced pop-in-cicle.... we are working with him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2009