two year old with Violent temper tantrums lasting 15-20 minutes - Help!

hi,
i'm supposed to have a "trial run" friday morning at a daycare job...as a para for a little boy with a troubled past. he has temper tantrums lasting anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes where he might throw himself down, swat at whoever's in charge, be told not to hit, then cry, then swat the other kids, teacher will get him to stop doing that, then he'll cry some more, then eventually calm down. i need advice on how to help him work thru his emotions and help him feel successful and have fewer tantrums. anybody work with strong-willed toddlers? he's 2, almost 3 yrs old. tia!!

LUVNMAMAO3

Asked by LUVNMAMAO3 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was king of temper tantrums. It took longer at first, but he finally stopped when I started just picking him up- depositing him in his room (where he was safe) and walking away until he had control of himself.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Those temper tantrums are a way to attract attention when a child doesn't feel like they have 100% of yours. I would ignore my son, as long as he wasn't hurting himself or others until he got his control back. We did that for a while, then I switched tactics on him. When he started crying for no reason like that, I gave him a reason to cry and sat him against the wall, away from any toys until he calmed down. Then talk to him, on his level, or so I hoped, and told him that (whatever it was) wasn't something to cry about. Then about 3 months later, I switched back to the old way. When he gets back on those kicks, I use one or the other. Every child is different, what works for one may not for another. Knowing something about the child's home life (because I think you are saying the troubled child is one of the daycare students) is going to play a MAJOR role in how he should be dealt with. con't
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 9:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Dealing with a child wrong can be disastrous when the home life is not taken into account. For instance, if you isolate a child for a temper tantrum that is consistently ignored at home, you are only compounding the problem. Make sense? Just be patient and watch the child for tells about what he wants. Every child has them. Thinks like thumb sucking showing that they need some reassurance of safety and the like. Best of luck. It won't be easy and it won't be fast.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 9:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree wiith the pp's, makke sure you know his home situation and maybe any underlying mental issues before you decide on a tactic. You can try acknowledging his feelings, I know your upset about x.., and I want to talk with you about iit, but I can't when you're screaming, I'll come get you when you're calm. If there's an area in the classroom where he can be alone, a little chill area, that would be a good place to put him, away from you and the other kids. Maybe see what his parents do about his behavior, so you can be consistant wiith them. Good luck.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009