Am I being overly sensitive or is this weird?

My MIL is always making comments 2 and about when my 5 year old has his own babies. Stuff like, 'you can play this game with your babies one day' or 'He can save this for his babies'. Or telling him about how one day he will have his own babies and then he will be the Daddy. It just seems weird to me to talk to a 5 year old about having babies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't see it as weird. In her day and age it was normal to assume that things would need to be passed on. Her craddle or crib was most likely in her family for years and years... Everything was kept and passed on generation after generation. So, that's how she see things today as well... It comes from this idea of if we teach our children and raise them right they will do the same thing with their kids. It's not weird - just old fasioned!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I dont think its weird.
    Ive said things along those lines to my boys and they are 5, 3, and 21 mths.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• LOL.  I wouldn't say that you are being too sensitive.  I would probaly think the same thing myself.  I wouldn't say it out loud and I especially wouldn't say anything to the mother in law about it.  It just seems like harmless baby talk to me.  But yeah, I'd think it a bit strange, lol.  She could also just be remembering her own children and how they now have children of their own and she's thinking about those children having children, lol. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think 5 is a little young for that. Is she trying to get him to ask you where babies come from?? Oy!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• oh I dunno its hard to say, i personally think its no big deal, I actually say stuff like that four year old all time but useally its an argumentive thing, like "oh mommy thats not fair" Then I say "oh yeah well someday when your the mommy you can be unfair too!" hehehehe
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My mother always uses my son to critisize me - (he's 9 mos old) She'll hold him up and say "Mommy its too cold for shorts" "Mommy I don't know why you keep feeding me sweet potatoes" "mommy I think I need to be wearing shoes" Sometimes I could smack her. Instead i just smile. I love her to death but come on!
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i don't think its silly to say those things, if the child is intelligent enough to understand. my 4yo says similar things all the time that crack me up. he'll say, ''when i'm a big, like a daddy, i will....".
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My family talks that way to my 8 & 2 year old.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Nope not weird at all.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she has hope she'll be alive that long. Or she's teaching them how to be a great future dad, nothing wrong with that. I talk to my dd about her "future children" but I always say "WAY in the future"
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 1:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2009