To have or not to have a second baby? Catholics what are your thoughts?

I am Catholic and my husband and I really would like to have a second child. Our first was a suprise while we were dating. We have since gotten married in the courts but have not had our marriage blessed in the Church. Should we have our marriage blessed first before we purposefully bring another life into the world? I want to do what is right so I am just trying to clarify what that is. I am supposed to be having a conversation with my mom about this but because of the time difference I still have another 6 hours to wait. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I would wait and have the marriage blessed which is something that I believe can be done fairly quickly, I don't think you'd have to wait long.
    Anonymous

• The nice thing about having your marriage blessed by the church is that it's a renewal of the committment you're making to your husband and inviting God into your family which is a wonderful thing. As part of the process, the priest will talk with you about marriage and may even provide ways and opportunities to discuss important topics that may be difficult for couples to discuss on their own (financial goals, discipline children, communication) - this would only benefit you before having another child. It's a pretty easy process, doesn't have to be a big production and is often beneficial - so I would think getting the marriage convalidated first would be a good thing.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it's a matter of personal choice here. You really can't go wrong either way...you are legally married already.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i think you should have your marriage blessed
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am not Catholic, so my opinion isn't worth that much, but from an outsiders perspective, I would say have the marriage blessed. To me it would be a sign to my husband, my family, and to God that I am committed to the marriage and want to have everything on the right path before adding to my family.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Teamquinn, I love your answer! And to the OP, I think you have gotten a lot of good advice already. God bless you!
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 2:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009