A strangers kids SNOT!

Someone I met for the first time today brought their kids to my house SICK! They were snotting all over! Now, I sanitized everything they touched.. including hard toys. But, how do I sanitize soft toys that can not be machine washed? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Use the clorox anywhere spray .
    Anonymous

• Wow, that was kind of a strange thing to do.  I definitely wouldn't take my kids anywhere while they were sick unless I just HAD to.  Maybe try putting the soft items in a garbage bag, tying it off for awhile.  Let me google it and I'll see what comes up!  I would be spraying the soft stuff with the lysol anyways, lol.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Lysol spray but you may be able to wash the soft toys in the washing machine too
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I wash stuffed animals & whatnot...just do it on the gentle cycle, let them air dry, and when they're dry, throw them in the dryer on high for a while. There's no way I'd not wash something soft - I'd rather throw it away than not wash it!
    Anonymous

• UPDATED INFO ABOUT MY QUESTION..

The Anywhere spray is for Hard Surfaces only..
    And, I CAN NOT put these items in the washer.. they have internal working parts that do not come out and/or mirrors ect. that can not be submerged in water. Throwing them out is not an option, but thanks for that! LoL! There has to be a way to sanitize them...
    Anonymous

• You could try freezing the soft toys for a couple of days. This may kill the bacteria, but viruses can go into hibernation & survive the freezing, becoming active again once they warm up.

Are you sure the other children were really sick with something and not just experiencing untreated allergy symptoms? Generally, if the snot is clear or just slightly discolored (maybe solid white or slightly yellowish), it's not a contagious illness and is just rhinitis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• put toys in a garbage bag and spray with lysol, tie shut! Leave it for a while. Let them air out before giving them back to the child. Good Luck!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• LYSOL as already mentioned by another poster.
    Anonymous

• Just FYI my daughter snots terribly while teething and it has nothing to do with a bacteria or virus. That being said I would not take her somewhere new without some sort of explanation to that effect. Lysol can be sprayed on them. Also put them outside in the sun to kill some of the stuff off. Don't let them get wet though because then you will have mold instead. A better idea would have been putting them up as soon as you realized the other kids were snotty. I always take soft stuff that cannot be washed up when planning a playdate for this reason.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the help Mommas! I was collecting the toys from the snotty kid as quickly as I could, but tried to hide the fact that I was doing it from the mom because I felt bad. He did end up having a cold! He was not teething.. hes too old. Now, my husband and I have sore throats and my daughter is a little snotty. I sprayed Lysol on the toys. I can't put them in the sun.. we don't have much in this state currently! I only leave out the hard/washable toys now when company comes! This was my first time having other kids play with mine.. I'm a rookie!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2009