my child needs more attentions from family, and we don't know how to tell them...

my yougest is ignored by the family while our oldest gets all the attention, and we don't know how to approach our families about it...please help

Asked by 2MammaBoys at 10:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Straight forward. Tell them it may not be intentional but your youngest is being given less than hi/her fair share of attention. You don't want the child to grow up feeling inferior. If they get ugly about it refuse to let them see either child until it can be less stressful for ALL of you. It's a hard thing to do. We have to advocate for our kids...if we don;t who will?

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Just TELL them... just like you told us. Tell them they're not being very fair to the little one & he wants to spend time with them too. Maybe they just don't realize they're doing it. Sometimes if one child is a brat (I don't know if this is the case with you) some family members would rather just play with the "nice" child. So look a little deeper... are they "avoiding" your youngest child b/c he's naughty? If not, then there's no reason they should favor the other.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Is there a big age difference? Our in-laws always take my 10 & 7 yr old for the weekend, but the baby (1) stays home with us. A) because sometimes all together they are a lot to deal with.
    B) the baby can't go fishing or hiking or to the water park or amusement park - the older two can.
    C) sometimes the older ones are more "fun" than the babies. I see it the other way around, but most of the time families would rather spend time with the older kids. HTH!

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i know this isn't an answer but to let you know, there is 14 and 1/2 months between my boys, Izen (the oldest) is 2 yrs. and Logan (the left out one) is 10 months old....if either one had to be classifiesd as a brat it would be the Izen, but he's not a brat he is just ALWAYS on the go (but he is 2 and curious)....i would like to Thank you all for your input, and the ones too come, thank you all my hubby and i will take all of the advice we can get, and make the best decision for us.....Thank you all again for the advice

Answer by 2MammaBoys at 3:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2008