How can i tell how big my baby is?

My whole pregnancy i've heard- oh your baby must be huge! (what i hear is "hey you got fat")

anyways, besides ultrasound or anything professional- is there a way for me myself to guestimate how large my baby really is?

despite everyone saying i look ready to pop, i still think i look kind of small and wonder how big the baby is and if she'll be ok when she comes out

if it helps there's a 36 week belly photo on my profile page

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no way to know until delivery. But more accurate than ultrasound is a skilled paired of experienced palpating hands.
    I hear that many women have ultrasounds to see baby's position among other reasons that can otherwise (more traditionally) be checked externally as a less invasive, less risky alternative.
    If you really want a good guess, you might find an experienced midwife.

But of course, it's mother's body type more than baby size.
    I know a tall & narrow woman who never looked more than 4 months pregnant with her 3 kids because her uterus was positioned more deeply in her back. Some women look 9 months at only 18 weeks, lol.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• thats exactly how i feel! i feel small, well i feel fat too, but feel small when i compare myself to others..and i want to know how big he is too. im 35 wks. and we think hes going to be big..but well see. good luck
    mommyofacarter

Answer by mommyofacarter at 8:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't know if i just have a warped body image or what, but i can't see how a baby would even fit in my tummy when i look at it! then i look at pictures and go- whoa there's something wrong with the camera i'm not that big.

Guess i do have a warped image! cool.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You can't really tell. How you look doesn't determine baby size. Some women have wide hips and the baby settles there and they don't look as big. If you are small before you get pregnant then as you get close to term you may look huge.

Your doctor, midwife, or ultrasonographer may be able to make an estimate. They aren't always right. You would think they could get that right!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ultrasounds can't tell how big a baby is. they can be used to make (bad) guesses. lol. really there isn't a good way to tell. your OB/midwife can guesstimate by feeling around your belly. everyone said i looked small but my son weighed 8lb 2oz which is normal size, not small at all ;) your baby is probably normal-sized too
    Anonymous

• I do not think you look huge. You look very pregnant but I have seen bigger bellies (myself included in that). I was very very huge and my daughter was 8lbs 11oz. I also had a ton of water when it broke at work.
    You have such a cute pregnant belly.

Like the other say, you can not tell how big your baby is until the baby is here. A week before I had my baby, I had an ultrasound. they were guessing that my baby was 9lbs and was going to be close to 10lbs when she got here. She wasnt.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You can't tell, and you can't go by the ultrasound measurements either. When I had my daugher they told me she was going to be like 9 lb 14 oz. and that was according to an ultrasound an hour before my c-section, needless to say she was 7lb. 5 oz!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• There is no reliable way to determine your babies size until it is born, ultrasounds can be off by pounds and are no more reliable than the guess of an experienced doctor of midwife from palpitating the belly from the outside.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2009