How old were your kids when you first took them to the dentist?

Were they afraid? Did they cry and not let the dentist work on them? Did they have any cavities?

Pollymom

Asked by Pollymom at 8:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 3yr old, he had no cavities. The dentist cleaned his teeth and he loved it! I pumped him up for it days prior talking about how great the dentist is and it's so fun and the dentist would be so proud of how he's been brushing his teeth and flossing and how good he it, etc. I was so impressed and excited. I always try to make everything enjoyable even if it is something most people dread because I want him to enjoy them rather than dread the situation. I do the same with food, bugs, dark, cleaning, etc
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• 18 months. She did great, they brushed, flossed, and painted her teeth. No cavities.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• 3 he did great and he had no cavities. i plan on taking my next one for his first visit at three as well
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I'm taking my son next week for his first visit as well. He'll be 3 too.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My dd was almost 2. All they did was look her over. When she's three they're going to start cleanings and such.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 11:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Shortly after my daughter turned 1. She only had two teeth, but I still wanted her to get acquainted with the dentist. She is okay until the dentist puts gloves on and then went to stick her hand in my girl's mouth. My girl was not having that. Then it was over, she wouldn't even let them paint the fluoride treatment on. We took my son when he was a little over 2, and he did great until the hygienist got the suction tube stuck against his cheek. Then he was done.

I know my local health department recommends they should go see a dentist as soon as their first tooth appears, or by their 1st birthday. Luckily we have good dental and check ups are free so I figured why not.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009