Should the parents of grossly over weight children be charged with negelct or child endangerment?

I mean children who are morbidly obese (not just a little chubby) with no contributing medical condition. Otherwise healthy children who's weight percentile is above X percent of their height percentile. If a parent can be charge for a grossly underweight child should it not be the same thing? An over weight child is just as much at risk for death and an underweight one...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• What annoys me is that people are jumping all over you like this isn't supposed to be a civilized debate. And they always bring up the "medical condition" thing there aren't that many damned kids with metabolism issues unless the numbers have tripled in the last twenty years people. Most every parent with an obese kid loves their child with food goodies as rewards and all of that crap. If you let your kid get morbidly obese then yes you should be monitered by CPS and if you can't get your other wise healthy kid to lose weight then maybe they need someone else who can care for them properly. I personally get tired of seeing eight year olds with candy bars and 20oz soda's who can hardly walk without panting, and someone tries to tell me that kid has a metabolism issue. No that kid has a parent who knows nothing about nutrition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• that is so sad. no.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Something about a child being underweight bothers me MORE than them being overweight...Cant really explain why.

But I don't like the idea of being charged with anything.....I dont believe most of them do it on purpose or to hurt their child....they feel as if they are helping feed them and keep them happy. They might not realize the danger they are putting their child in.

Maybe a better approach would be nutrition classes for the families and a Dr to help keep them on track....
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not.

I am the mother of an UNDERWEIGHT child, and I know how it feels to be publicly scrutinized because of your child's weight. Everyone assumes it's the PARENT'S fault, when that isn't always the case. My dd's doctor is well aware of her weight, and we are working together to get her to a healthier weight. I can't imagine what I'd do if someone charged ME with neglect or child endangerment.

If the child's weight is due to the food choices of the parents, then education is needed. Not criticism and/or a criminal record!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• They need to be held accountable. Perhaps not negligence. They don't realize it, but they are killing their child, a slow poisoning. And it is NOT genetics. Slightly chuby, perhaps genetics. But I get tired of seeing people say "it's genetics!" while feeding their kids twinkies and coke every day. It's not genetics. It's eating more calories than your body burns.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• **I said an otherwise healthy child. at that point it is the parents fault**

What if the parent refuses to work with the doctor or follow doctor orders because it is easier? then what?
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who's daughter is already 42 pounds at 2 years old. She can eat 2 slices of a large pizza and chips for dinner. they feed her what she wants ' or she'll pitch a fit' and my friend doesn't want to deal with it. I do not think she should be charged but i do with someone would step in and put a stop to it. My daughter is the same age and is 28 pounds. they are the same height, just about. What I say has no pull but I bet if CPS stepped in it would get better.
    Anonymous

• then it is none of your bussiness
    and often times underlying medical conditions are not discovered for a loooong time
    Anonymous

• '**then it is none of your business** Wow it's hypothetical. It's not like i singles a certain person out. It's called a debate. You people and your 'none of your business' statements...what's the matter you got nothing better to put on the floor? If I asked if my child was over weight or If I was feeding them to much then all of the sudden it would be all kinds of your business right?

Anonymous

• Pizza and Coke doesn't make a child fat. A child gets fat because of excess calories coupled with not enough exercise.

Stop blaming everything on pizza and soda. Maybe the child just needs a bit more exercise. Lots of children eat pizza, and not all of them are obese or even overweight.

We really need to stop judging these parents. You don't know what's going on in their lives. If you're truly concerned, talk to the PARENT(S). Tell them of your concern. I don't know why everyone is so quick to call CPS, as if they're "miracle workers". Most likely, the child will be:

A. yanked out the only home they've ever known, and
    B. stuck with a stranger in a foster home for who knows how long

That is NOT the ideal solution for obese children.
    Anonymous