What chores do your kids have?

Hi, I have two boys (6 & 9 ) and I would like them to get a bit more chores here at home, so far they have only a few: each help w/cooking dinner once a week, one puts out the trash and one feeds the cat...(they of corse also pick up their toys inside and out after play, carries their plate, cup and utinsels to the sink after meals, and pack their own schoolbag most nights.)...I would like to teach them more households chores, like cleaning and laundry...but not sure which would be good for a 6 and 9 yr.old?.
My Q is : what chores do your kids have and how old were they when they started the different chores???

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 8:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• From the time they were 4 they had to pull up their own sheets and covers in the morning, although I took care of changing the beds. At your childrens' ages they can sort their own laundry, sweep out the garage, sweep the sidewalks, water the plants, change the cat's water, clean the tub or shower after they use it. empty the dishwasher. perhaps put away their own laundry - not sure about folding it themselves, but perhaps it is time that they did. I explained to the children that they shared in the household income- their allowance plus food, clothing, etc, and they also shared in the household chores.

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son is five and he waters the dog and cats, picks up his toys, packs his snack, clears his dishes and washes the pet bowls. Soon I will be teaching him to fold towels and put away the dishes that go in the lower cabinets.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• clean after themselves, make their beds,be good, sometimes they throw away trash, put their own clothes away, and get good grades. we all work together to keep the house clean. responsible for their school stuff, scarping there own plates, both my 11 & 6 help organizes/clean the toys. i have 4 kids 11,6,2,newborn. i start teaching them to pick-up after themselves before 1, make their bed at 4. My 11 helps me cook supervised,but this is not a normal chore. i will have them do some laundry at 14 and up.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Everyone puts in their own dishes, including them, when its full they are expected to start it if they are the ones who notice it...with out being told to do so

Everyone also does their own laundry so once their hamper, the whites and darks have their own hamper in their rooms to make it easier on them, once its full they do their own laundry, wash, dry, and fold.

The hallway bathroom upstairs must be cleaned spotless: including cleaninf mirrors, and mopping the floor, every saturday morning...no one else but them use that bathroom anyway.

Toys need to stay picked up in the family room and living room

The lil guy is 9 my baby girl is 7
    Anonymous

• This is anon :12

I like this way because they know how to pick up after them selves and be proactive in cleaning...we do help them with some things but for they most part they help each other.

But although some of that seems like a big task for a little person they get it done and they take plenty iniciative so it makes all of the rest of the housework very easy to complete when I dont always have to worry about picking up after them

I couldnt imagine
    Anonymous

• I try to involve my kids in ALL the chores I do.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I have 3 kids ages 13, 7 & 4. There are 5 in our family so chores rotate on a 5 day schedule. Sunday is pretty much just daily stuff and no chores. I have a helper every day (DH & I included). The helper gets to cook/help cook supper. Next in line wash dishes & table. Next - wash/dry/fold clothes. Next - clean/sweep bedroom & 1 other room. The one who was the helper the day before gets the day off. Also, the helper takes out the trash on trash day and fixes DH's lunch for work. They all know how to sort laundry & wash clothes. The younger 2 can't reach the clothesline so they hand me the clothes and I hang them up. I take them down, fold them & hand to the kids to put in the basket. They all have to put away their clothes when I bring them in. They all take turns washing dishes. The younger 2 stand on a stool at the sink to wash dishes, but they do a good job, and I am right there with them to help & rinse.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Every day, they are to make their beds & put their dirty clothes in the laundry. They are to pick up after themselves. They clear their dirty dishes from the table. DS13 brushes, feeds & takes the dog out. They also help plan the menu for the week. Everyone gets to decide what is for supper (or Sunday dinner) on their helper day. Whoever is the helper on shopping day goes with me to buy groceries.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• almost 3
    sets the table for dinner, helps dust with the feather duster, puts away her own toys, puts her dishe sin the isnk, throws her trash away
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• wow, all of you have little cleaning angels. I can't get my kids or my husband to lift a finger to help me out. my kids throw a big fit when told to clean their rooms.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2009