my kid is such a picky eater... help

i have an 8 year old son. he is a very picky eater. only wanting to eat junk... sometimes i make something and he is fine with it, and the next time i make it, the same way. he wont eat it.... what can i do?

jennna

Asked by jennna at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• At 8 he's going to have very specific likes and dislikes, but you are the mom and you need to let him know that "junk" isn't on the menu. Fix things for dinner that are healthy and you've known him to eat in the past and if he decides that he's going to refuse it, then so be it, but don't go out of your way to please him by making a second meal or anything. I have to tell my 8 yr old repeatedly you eat what I fix or you don't eat... no second meals. He always eats what I fix cause he's hungry and he always likes it, it's just not what HE wanted, KWIM? And maybe that is what your child is going through. He's just wanting something else, not that he "hates" whats in front of him, just that he doesn't "want" it. Hope ya figure it out.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Let him help you with your weekly meal planning. You can go to the library and check out a kids cookbook (my favorite is Pretend Soup), or try www.spatulatta.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• DO NOT ALLOW him to be a picky eater. Set his plate in front of him and tell him, "EAT UP". Don't let your kid control you---take charge, mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2009