Need a career Job in NYC!!!

212lakay

Asked by 212lakay at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• And we're supposed to help you how? You don't say what you want to work in....what skills/degrees you have. There's a Duane Reed on just about every corner. Bet you could go there.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Halfpint-you are so realistic. You never fail. lol. Here is an idea though click here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• There are tons of great tips and support in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

• Hi, the best job for a mom in New York City (in my opinion) is with the department of education. You can look for openings as a school aide, health aide, or secretary.
    I worked as a secretary for 2 high schools (Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in Times Square) and Boys and Girls High School in Brooklyn from 1999-2007. I loved it!
    I got all the days off the kids had and the job is fun. The benefits are pretty awesome too.
    Feel free to pm me if you want.
    Oh, I work from home now and live in Missouri.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 2:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009