Those that think it's NORMAL to go past 41 weeks how long do you think U should wait??

I get alot of women on here telling me OMG you are only 40 weeks it's NORMAL to go past 41 weeks even 42 weeks. THen what is considered not normal???
I think my body doesn't know when to go into labor. I have never with either pregnancy have had contractions until I was induced with my 1st and haven't had any yet with this baby and I am due today. I also am not dilated at all either. How far would you let a pregnant woman go if you believe it's normal to go past 40 weeks???What's the cut off week???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A term pregnancy is anything between 37 and 42 weeks. Beyond 42 weeks is considered post-dates. Yes, going over your due date is normal. And you don't have to be dilated in order to go into labor. Some women just gestate longer. It's okay.

And yes, baby will keep growing, but that's not a bad thing. Women can birth big babies, and they should. You will be fine. Just be patient with your body.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My ultrasounds said my son would be born December 7th, and he came along January 21st. My doctor just continued to do non-stress tests on me/him. All was well, we were healthy, the doctor wasn't worried. Just talk to your doctor about it and ask if he thinks you need any tests to make sure all is okay.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't know if you're doing a hospital delivery, but most doctors don't let women go past 42 weeks these days.

Once your past 40 weeks they set up "stress tests" on your baby...look to make sure the placenta isn't detaching, and that their heart beat is normal.

If everything is okay, they'll just tell you to go home and wait...if it's not, they'll send you into labor and delivery to get induced.

but like I said, most doctors will recommend an induction by no later than 42 weeks.

(I got induced at 41 - I know, every extra day feels horrible).
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it's whatever YOU feel comfortable with.  If you want to be induced immediately, tell your Dr. or Midwife.  If you want to wait it out, then wait it out.  Everyone has their own opinion of what "normal" is and is not but this is YOUR body and YOUR baby so it's what YOU consider to be normal and what you are okay with.  ;)

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I have heard that the Placenta can fail the longer you wait cause it gets old. But my doc told me at my 39 wk appt (this was with my first preg) that the baby will start my labor so i guess he wouldnt have induced me but i only went to 39 wks 5 days so i would know.
    Anonymous

• When your baby decides to come out is how long you should wait. A failed placenta is medically IMPOSSIBLE and just a term coined by the medical establishment to get women scared enough to induce on their schedule. Your baby being induced has WAY more risks than just letting him/her cook a little longer. NOONE has ever spent their whole life pregnant and babies DO come out eventually! Even without some doctor forcing them too.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• They won't let you go past 42 weeks. The placenta can die, which could kill the baby.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My dr and mid wife will induce after 41 weeks but I know some that wont induce till 42 weeks but after that is too long it could pose harm to you and the baby.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Not before 42 weeks. An induction is risky and unnecessary. Placentas don't just give out at a magic number of weeks. Do regular tests and checks instead of walking into medical intervention because there's nothing to intervene.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Bridget C140 is right. The placenta starts to degrade and will become insufficient to support life by around 42 weeks.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2009